Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CenturyLink suddenly put router in "Walled Garden"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BinaryHedgehog

BinaryHedgehog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

So, CenturyLink has put my C1000Z router into "Walled Garden" mode when it was working just fine last night! Is there any reason for this to have happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

is your area PPPoE? if so that's why. (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet)

In old Qwest territories, the modems will connect with a "connect@qwest.net" or "connect@centurylink.net" username causing the walled garden until you either put in your PPoE info, or you go through the setup wizard

Either That or Your machine is infected.

MOD edit:-  For a fuller discussion of this see https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29092625-

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 09 September 2016 - 06:18 PM.
Edited to include link

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

Not to be rude, but have you checked your bill? Some ISP use a walled garden to redirect internet to a page reminding you of the bill. It can also be caused by a provisioning issue if you recently swapped modems or moved accounts. Is there any message that comes up when you try to go online?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

So was it your bill?

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

It's possible that there was a power outage or some other loss of power of the modem/router and it reset. In any case you get a nice walled garden page if it isn't configured right. If you don't know the settings it needs or login password you have to call them. Once everything is setup and working correctly again, I highly suggest that you login to the router and make a backup of the the config. If this happens again you can upload the saved config.

#6 steve87

steve87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

I just replaced my 660 modem with a c1100t centurylink sent me. I connected to my laptop and set up wan and lan settings as I needed and then plugged new unit into network and DSL line. Initially everything worked fine, good access to internet sites then a few minutes later, no internet access. I tried a couple changes but no help so I reset unit, and put in all of my settings manually again, then plugged it back in to the network and same thing. This time I noticed under internet it said "walled garden". I knew everything on the lan side was fine and DSL showed connected with a good wan IP, so I called centurylink internet service. Explained issue to them ( they said it was due to DMCA , but that was not the issue) and she started trying to have me reset modem again because everything on their end looked good. I explained modem accessed internet fine then was blocked at the ISP by this "walled garden" and I now have no internet connection.

Finally got passed to level 2 service person who was very helpful. I explained I set up modem manually and it initially worked but then became blocked. She explained that with new devices this happens if you don't run the quick setup and that she could reset it on her end so I was no longer blocked. About 5 minutes after her reset, my internet showed connected and everything works fine.

I looked at the quick setup but it was asking things that were not necessary, I assume trying to rope me in to their environment, so I abandoned that early on.

Hopefully My device is "registered" in their system so I don't need to do this again but I have read that if you reset the modem this will again occur.

#7 ReinaB4Me

ReinaB4Me

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

Can anyone tell me what ["CRIS Walled Garden"] means? I have put some general info below, hopefully to help with some answers.

Here is a general idea of  the message  I received from my internet provider. It was directed to an official webpage, etc.

and below this message is what I found after I right clicked on the page and selected view source.

CenturyLink Copyright Messaging Program
Notification of Receipt of Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Notice
CenturyLink has received one or more DMCA copyright notices in connection with this account:

Account Number: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Modem Username: MyNameHere

Complaint Information: Click here for more information about the DMCA copyright notices
You can click the Continue button to restore your Internet session, but please be aware that if CenturyLink receives additional notices.....etc....

the scripting info below is a small amount of what was in the header, footer and survey info, etc.

"<p>Please help us improve this notification process by completing a brief survey. This survey should take less than 5 minutes of your time.<br><br></p>"

& further below--

<h2>Survey - Page 1 of 7</h2><p></p>

<p class="question">Was it clear that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) copyright notices originated from the copyright owner or their agent, not from CenturyLink?

questions continue with several more questions asking about what types of equipment are you using and how many.  

ending with,        

</div>

<!-- FOOTER END -->

</div>

<script>lpTag.section = ["CRIS Walled Garden"] </script>

<div id="screen" style="position:absolute; left:0; top:0; background:#000;" onclick="javascript:remove_overlay();"></div>

<script>lpTag.section = ["CRIS Walled Garden"] </script>

I want to check if this is a new virus, scam or ??  Any help would be great.

<p>Please help us improve this notification process by completing a brief survey. This survey should take less than 5 minutes of your time.<br><br></p>

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

You got a Walled Garden because of a copyright violation.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users