Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Shut Down By Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

Windows XP home has more than one occasion shut down my PC to protect the PC.

The following is the message:

Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal

Does anybody know what this means

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

It is indicative of a hardware problem, driver or bad ram.

If you posted the entire error message we might be able to help more effectively.

Look in your device manager and see if there are any red or yellow warning icons in any of the catagories.

If there are, update the drivers or delete the device and let Windows find it and reinstall it (depending what it is).

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

Sometimes there's a filename that goes along with that message. If so, that will help to figure out which driver it is. This is most likely a STOP 0xD1 error ( http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1 ) As Enthusiast is said, it's usually caused by a bad/corrupt driver, faulty or mismatched RAM, or a corrupt pagefile. (I'll comment on the RAM and pagefile at the end of this posting).

The error message is also located in your Event Viewer. See this article for how to find it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If Error Reporting is turned on, you can save the files that it will send (click on the Details link to find them). The .mdmp file in that location can be analyzed using the procedure in the next paragraph to find out more information about what driver it is.

Search your hard drive for .dmp and .mdmp files. If you find any, use this technique to create an analysis of it. Then copy and paste the analysis into your next post (BTW - when it says to use the !analyze -v command, it goes in the empty box at the very bottom of the debugger's window (starting on the left)). Here's the link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Or, you could just start updating drivers until you hit on the right one. Here's the order that I use:
1) Check any new or questionable devices for updates. Also, if you have a "hunch" - try updating that software also.
2) Visit Windows Update and ensure that you have all the updates
3) Update your motherboard/chipset drivers to the latest version
4) Remove/uninstall your video drivers - then update to the latest WHQL certified version (that means it's been certified to work with Windows).
5) Remove/uninstall your NIC drivers - then update to the latest version
6) Remove/uninstall your sound drivers - the update to the latest version
7) Then remove and update any drivers for devices that are built into your motherboard (and weren't covered by the motherboard/chipset update in step 3
8) Then remove and update any drivers for any other hardware devices that you use on your system.
9) If it's still not fixed, try a repair install of Windows XP using this link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

---------------------------------------------

To check your RAM, go to this page and download the free memory tester there: http://www.memtest86.com/ Install it to a floppy or a CD and boot from it (follow the directions exactly). Let the test run for at least 2 hours (but overnight is best). Any errors means bad RAM (although some folks will disagree saying that a few errors won't hurt anything - but I sure won't use it to balance my checkbook!).

-----------------------------------

To recreate your page file, follow these steps:
1) Go to Start...Run...and type in "control sysdm.cpl,,3" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
2) Click on the the Performance Settings button
3) Click on the Advanced tab
4) Click on the Change button underneath the Virtual Memory section
5) Write down the settings for the current pagefile (you'll need this to restore it)
6) Click on the "No paging file" radio button - then click on the Set button.
7) Click on "OK" 3 times to exit the dialog.
8) Reboot the computer
9) Repeat steps 1 to 4 to get back into the pagefile settings
10) Restore the settings to what you wrote down in step 5 - then click on the Set button.
11) Click "OK" 3 times to exit the dialog.
12) Reboot your system and you'll have a brand spanking new pagefile!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:14 AM

thanks to both of you.

It happened again while opening outlook express.

Cancel Step in Completed IRD

Stop ( 0x 00000048 , 0 x 8399od98)

I will review your comments.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

Are you using Windows 2000 or XP?

#6 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

xp home

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Have you installed any new hardware or software recently or updated any drivers?

Open your device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons in any of the sections.

To access the device manager click on "Syatem" in your control panel, then "Hardware", then click the device manager button.

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 August 2006 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users