Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

facebook wifi or hotspot to restaurant

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mercy_angel

mercy_angel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

Hello, i am facing an issue to make hotspot for restaurant. Idea is that users can login to free hotspot when click like on facebook or check in. Unfortunately router which I bought for Facebook Wi-Fi have some issues or I think better, facebook has issue where users can use SSL pages before they check in. Problem is with Facebook.

SO I tried untangle, but their services is not free. I must mention that I need free solution. Does anyone have idea, I would appreciate.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

What model router do you have? Also, how have you tried to set it up so far? Can we see screenshots? Are you trying this?

I don't think you will be able to get a HTTPS redirect without purchasing a CA certificate. Instead, I would just redirect and block HTTPS.

#3 mercy_angel

mercy_angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

Router is ASUS RT-AC68U. I had put a firmware which has Facebook WiFi option, but SSL pages, just don't work, before check in i can use viber, whats up, etc. So there is no free solution for that?

I didn't try what you propose.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

From what I can find it won't work with HTTPS/SSL. This is by design. 

"Note: If a website or app utilizes HTTPS (Port 443) or any other ports/protocols aside from HTTP, it will bypass the splash page completely. Yahoo!, Google, and Gmail are examples of websites that send all traffic over HTTPS. This is by Facebook's design and cannot be overridden."

#5 mercy_angel

mercy_angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Then they should disable it. Its stupid, anyone can go through that. 

So what do you think is the best free solution? That article what you gave me, when using a wifi creator, i must choose a wireless adapter, so only I can use for this a laptop or  a pc with wireless card? So I cant provide with my router a wifi, and setup a main pc which can connect to hiden wifi, and through that i can make a that in the article...Maybe this is an idea? But how to make facebook check in or like ...?

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

"Then they should disable it. Its stupid, anyone can go through that. "

It is not wise to call something stupid that you don't understand. The program wasn't designed as a way of stopping people from signing in like a password, it was designed to show your users a terms of service, track who is connecting, and restrict what they can do. It's like saying parental controls are stupid because you can get around them. 

I do not know of any free solution that redirects HTTPS traffic. It cost more money to design a program to do that so I have never heard of anyone designing a program like that for free. You might be able to self design something to do that, but it will require different hardware and firmware and a lot of work. You would be basically creating a whole new program. 

Edited by Trikein, 09 September 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#7 mercy_angel

mercy_angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

i just meant whats point of create that check in when can bypass. Only that, but nevermind. 

So what you think about my second question 

That article what you gave me, when using a wifi creator, i must choose a wireless adapter, so only I can use for this a laptop or  a pc with wireless card? So I cant provide with my router a wifi, and setup a main pc which can connect to hiden wifi, and through that i can make a that in the article...Maybe this is an idea? But how to make facebook check in or like ...?

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

Sorry, I have answered everything I know. I will let someone else continue the conversation if they wish.

#9 mercy_angel

mercy_angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

Thanks, i need all possible help for this.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

The reason I can't be of any more help is I ran into the same problem when helping a friend set up a wifi hotspot for his business. This was before routers had integrated Hotspots into their firmware, so their setup was different but we ran into the same snag. We couldn't find a Wifi hotspot program that would direct HTTPS. I think it has to do with the way SSL works and how it is designed not to be intercepted. We didn't want to force people to use open HTTP on a open network either. He ended up going with a solution offered by his ISP but it cost money. Most people who design HTTPS hotspots are doing it to sell wifi access, so they in turn charge money for the program. If you, or ANYONE here figures out a free solution, please advise. 

Edited by Trikein, 09 September 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#11 mercy_angel

mercy_angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

What about solution you proposed in earlier post?

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

Which one, this? It uses a free version of Microsolut. Only the "Server" version include HTTPS access. See here for comparsion. The main stopping point is for HTTPS access, you need a SSL certificate. That cost time and money. I haven't found any company to absorb that cost to offer a free product. 

#13 mercy_angel

mercy_angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

So with that article, i can't either get rid of ssl pages?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users