Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mice Mice Baby

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Hello evryone!

Right now I am using the trackwheel (I think this is right term, has a ball instead of a laser) mouse that came with my computer.

Now I have gotten into graphic design and more computer games, and I feel it's time for an upgrade.

I have some gift cards for BestBuy and I would like to buy there, my price range for this is around $40 or less.

What type, laser or optical? Any certain brands? Do I need buttons other then the 2 buttons and scroll wheel? Any other important features?

Best Buy's website is found here.

Logitech - MX400 Laser Mouse
^I found this one there, looks pretty good. Thoughts?

Edited by killer_kyle, 18 August 2006 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

It wouldve been better if you had 40 dollars instead of a gift card cause Staples has this awesome mouse made by Microsoft. Its wireless and optical (laser). For only $29.99. If you see one check for a Microsoft standard Wireless Optical mouse. Thats what its called.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

I have cash too, its just I would llike to use my giftcards up.

Even without using the giftcards, I still only want to pay $40 or less.

I just got home from visitng Circuit City, and they had a nice optical mouse for on sale for around $16.

Posted Image

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

I like it. Im more of a fan of "wired" electronics. that way I dont have to worry about batteries. If it's logitech and not trackwheel. it's prolly a good buy. ANYTHING is better than trackwheel lol

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

I'm partial to Logitech mouses, and either optical or laser works fine. Personally I prefer cordless (I always get the cord tangled up in something) but there you can go according to your own preferences. I recommend trying out the mouse in a shop to fell how it feels to use.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

Most Optical wireless mice lasts up to 6 months incase you buy one. Keep some spares nearby.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

I am a great fan of Logitech peripherals, and have used both keyboards and mice with much pleasure. I prefer a wired lazer, since one does not have to worry about batteries. Since you are going to use the mouse for gaming and graphics design, it is important that you find one that "fits your hand" as it were, and will be <u>comfortable to use for extended periods of time</u>. Gamers will probably tell you that additional side buttons are a great benefit in some games.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

I am a great fan of Logitech peripherals

I second that reply from jgweed. They, i think anyway, feel alot more solid and the materials used feel well compact and put together, in short, they dont feel 'Cheap'.

If you sit far from your monitor then go for the wireless mouse. But, on the other hand, if you actually sit over your PC, i find that a wired mouse is best. Saves on batteries or recharging. Ive had mine now for about 4 years. Still works perfectly, and still looks new, surprisingly, as well as modern. But, most importantly for me, it feels comfortable in the hand.

Obviously the choice is yours, but Logitechs worth a definate look.

Edited by graveangel, 19 August 2006 - 11:35 AM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

Most Optical wireless mice lasts up to 6 months incase you buy one. Keep some spares nearby.

I don' know. My Logitech optical wireless mouse is going on four years now.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

I have always been a fan of Logitech, i bought a Logitech track ball at compUSA for 20 dollars several years ago when i broke my hand and it works great, just have to clean the lil rollers out. but thats no big deal. not only that, track balls lessen your hand movements so it supposed to be better for your wrists. I already had to buy a ergonomic keyboard because of symtoms from carpal tunnel.

Edited by AMD010, 19 August 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

I have been using trackballs for years. I currently have a Logitech standard and a MS laser trackball. I like the MicroSoft 5 button Laser trackball better, althought I am keeping both. The MS is smoother and has more options. I have all 5 buttons programmed. They come in very handy with limited desktop space.

Posted Image

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#12 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:24 PM

They come in very handy with limited desktop space.

Posted Image

Wow that desk looks something like mine. i used to have two monitors but i bought a KVM switch, that is so convenient. that is unless you really need to see two screens at the same time.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:37 PM

If you look next to the right of the white trackball i have a 4 port KVM. I have 2 servers connected to the monitor on the right. They are in the next room at the present.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

If you look next to the right of the white trackball i have a 4 port KVM. I have 2 servers connected to the monitor on the right. They are in the next room at the present.

ok..ill be quite now lol.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#15 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

I'm thinking optical mouse is the way to go. A wired one.

If I see a good deal on a laser one, I might get that, but a a optical one looks good enough for me.

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users