Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to update Windows 10 = many registry errors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 girl.anachronism

girl.anachronism

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hello!

I've been having trouble with my computer for a year now (since I first bought it and upgraded to windows 10 immediately). For one, my track pad randomly stops working once in a while (it does not correlate with opening a new program or any other pattern I've noticed - it happens quite randomly). I have also never been able to complete an update. Whenever I attempt to update Windows 10, it says that it was unable to complete updates and is "undoing changes." I also have not been able to update most other programs on my computer (ex. Skype). My computer has also been acting strange lately - for example, staying in airplane mode, unresponsive to changing brightness/volume from the keyboard. Again, these things seem to happen at random, and not when the computer is overwhelmed with open programr or anything. I ran a test that said I had hundreds of registry errors, but I have no idea how to fix this! AVG and Malwarebytes come up clean.

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

The best bet would be to do a clean install which would start with a new registry. You would have to first back up data and you would have to install the apps again.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#3 girl.anachronism

girl.anachronism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

Thank you for your reply. Would it be alright to choose the "Reset PC>Keep my files" option to reinstall Windows?

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

Thank you for your reply. Would it be alright to choose the "Reset PC>Keep my files" option to reinstall Windows?

Of course not, reinstallation or reset will not help never, if You don't clean the computer at all. Have You ever removed junk files, obsolete registry keys, old backups, temporary files etc?

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Before you do the Clean install i would try these, they could fix your issue.

Open Command Prompt as Admin and run sfc /scannow

and then 

Open PowerShell as Admin.

copy/paste/type this in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If that doesn't work then:

The "Reset this PC" option will not work because you did a system upgrade and not a clean install, this is a common issue when one has upgraded from win 7 or 8/8.1. you would have to do a CLEAN install, eg, boot to disk format hdd and install fresh.

I would also recommend removing AVG and then trying to do updates, i know AVG doesn't allow some thing to go through because of their settings.

Edited by Viper_Security, 09 September 2016 - 05:10 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

I have to disagree with Kaljukass (#4) on this one, a full clean install from an install DVD, or USB if necessary, will fix the problems he refers to to by completely formatting your hard drive before the installation starts, but only if you do a clean install from fresh media.

The downside to this is that you will lose all your data and applications so you must back up your data to external storage before you start, and make a note of any application authorisation codes you may need to re-install downloaded software.

But I would try Viper's suggestions first as, if they solve the problem they will save you a lot of work !

It is always helpful when raising problems like this if you give the make and model of your computer. Then I could easily find out if you have a CD/DVD drive on it or not, just as an example. If you need to find out how to get a copy of Win 10 to install from, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

I agree Chris. Even if you select to keep the files you should STILL BACK THEM UP.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#8 girl.anachronism

girl.anachronism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thank you for your input everyone!

The make/model of my laptop is HP Pavilion Notebook - 14-ab057ca

Yes, I would love to know how to get a copy of sindows 10 to install from.

Before posting, I already tried this option:

"

Open Command Prompt as Admin and run sfc /scannow

and then 

Open PowerShell as Admin.

copy/paste/type this in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

I got a message saying that it couldn't fix the errors or something to that effect.

Then, strangely enough, without taking any action on the computer yet, yesterday night, several updates were successfully made on my computer. This may have been the first time something like this has happened! I think it restarted about 4 times in total. Things are running a bit more smoothly now, but I still have the trackpad problem, and according to AVG, I have 334 registry errors. I'm slightly apprehensive about removing AVG because I constantly get notices from it about quarantining Win32/Heri viruses and don't know what if I were to not have an antivirus program.

After all of these unexpected successful updates, I'm trying the sfc scan again at the moment and will report back on the results.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

If you need to download the ISO of Win 10 you can  get it from here -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Note this downloads as a single ISO file which needs to be burnt to a DVD as its component files. As far as I can make out your laptop has a DVD drive so this is the simplest course. You should be able to use 'File Explorer' (as it is called in Win 10) to do this. If for any reason it won't then use something like ImageBurn to convert the ISO to its component files.

As far as I know since you upgraded this laptop to 10 as soon as you got it the Win 10 authorisation code should be stored in firmware but this is something you should check before you do a re-install.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users