Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not booting after ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CptOrange16

CptOrange16

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

Hello :)

I've been trying to install some new ram but the computer does not boot after I do it.
​The computer already had a DDR2-667 2gb module (corsair) and I bought another one with 2 gb but from Kingston, as far as I could tell they had the same specifications so I assumed they would work together. Here are some specs i got from CPUZ: http://imgur.com/a/6y9n6

I tested both seperatly and both booted normally and showed no problems on memtest.

​My mobo is the following: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-GS/
This is my first time upgrading anything so any advice is good advice, thanks for reading

Edited by CptOrange16, 09 September 2016 - 08:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

The first thing I looked at was your mobo specs and it will support upto 8Gb of DDR2 800/667 RAM, so that is not the problem.

Lookiing at the data you provide from CPUZ it looks like the two RAM sticks are not fully compatible, their timing performances are quite different. When you consider that one stick is seven years older than the other this is perhaps not too surprising. In general it is best to fit matching RAM sticks where possible, any two essentially grabbed at random may work together, but may not, and I think this is what has happened to you.

Memtest shows that both sticks are good, the computer boots with either, just not with both. I suggest that you try to buy a matching 2 GB stick of the newer Kingston, perhaps from wherever you got this one and then use the two Kingston sticks together. Don't throw the Cruzer stick away, it may always come in useful in another computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

Hi! Have you been able to fix the problem? If no, could you please mention the Processor? It may not support up to 8 GBs.

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

You said that there is/was DDR2-667 2gb module and it will support upto 8Gb of DDR2 800/667 RAM, so  it means,

that  You must use RAM which frequency is 800 MHz or 667 MHz, but Your Kingston is only 266 MHz and 333 MHz?

If this picture is true. So if it is so, how they can work together?

See also http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424753/increasing-ram-memory-help/

Edited by kaljukass, 10 September 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

The information you give at your #1 shows quite clearly that both these RAM sticks are compatible with your computer - it boots and runs as you said with either. Therefore they are compatible. Your problem is that these two sticks are not mutually compatible, which is why your computer won't boot with them both installed. This is not an uncommon problem.

The reason I checked your mobo specs was purely to see that it could support 4GB of RAM. I recently upgraded the RAM in an old laptop and never thought to check the manual first. I put a nice shiny 2GB stick in and it just sat there and smiled at me. Then I checked the manual - maximum supported RAM = 1GB.

As I said above, your best, simplest and most reliable solution would be to get another Kingston 2GB stick of the same model as the one you bought recently.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

i see this from time to time with the custom motherboards such as asrock. this is one of those instances where the auto-tune function in BIOS may need  to be set manually.  Standard DDR2 voltage should be around 1.8v and i think you can increase voltage by small increments. i myself have tuned DDR2  up to 1.95v and tested the RAM to Bleep and back with no adverse results, but it is best to increase  the voltage in the smallest increments available at a time to check. DRAM Power should be available  in your BIOS, and probably defaults to "Auto". Most of the time, leaving the ram power set at Auto  is going to work well, but there are exceptions, typically seen on the older custom mobos like yours.

one more thing, there very well could be an exception pertaining to a BIOS update. i have seen BIOS updates address these kinds of concerns (support for hardware that supercedes the release date of the mobo itself)

here is the page for that mobo and the BIOS editions, looks like the descriptions for the root cause of the updates are not very detailed, but that is typical.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-GS/?cat=Download&os=BIOS.

and here on this support/download page i see some non-descript RAM concerns being addresed back in 12-2008.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-GS/?cat=Download&os=All

Edited by synergy513, 12 September 2016 - 08:25 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users