Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YouTube masking IP addresses of users?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SuperfllyOriginal

SuperfllyOriginal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

First off, I am not using this for cyber bullying or what ever you would call it. I am not and have not used it to phish for random people's IP without consent. 

I just noticed that YouTube is the only website that when a user opens links posted (in this case IP extraction/grabber links) the IP bounces back is their own place of operation IP in california. This happens instead of the person opening the link's IP showing up. Somehow they are masking IP's of anyone and everyone online.

Its very strange, all other places work ive tested opening them with other devices and just like anyone els. my location shows "california moutainview" like this: http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=72.14.199.77

I have gotten dozens of that location when links are opened on.. say, a youtubes comment section ect. im just curious why that is! first i thought it was a bunch of "just so happens to be users that have proxy or vpn servers" but no. Its anyone with any internet setup that does this.

Ive tried it on myself and sure enough I get a email stating someone from mountainview california clicked it (me). Only if im opening said link on youtube.  Anyone know why? found it strange. 

Same results, is it I get either a google bot or business location, or isp location, or something like: 

"StateProv: CA

PostalCode: 94043

But to be clear: these are real people and myself opening them. Its not always just a google bot because ALL of them cannot be bots which is proven after doing it on myself.

Ive also tested other services and companies online, for the future questions. 

Also note: the internet of the address on these results suggests "corporate" under internet type. So it seems clear to me that this is google or another business IP address intervening.

Edited by SuperfllyOriginal, 09 September 2016 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users