Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Connection Via Electrical Wires

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

The PC is my basement can not get access to the internet via wireless connection.

I tried the Netgear devices that allow connection via the electrical wires of my home.

So far I am pleased with the result.

Lately however, there are times when I get no connection because " a LAN cable" is unplugged.

I check the connection the between the Netgear box and my PC and it fine. The Netgear box has all green lighgt. The same is true for the connection between rthe router and the Netgear box . Most of the time the internet connection comes back by itself. If you at the network connection when there is no access it reads a cable is unplugged.

Any idea what causes this ? Is the cables , the Netgear boxes or my electrical wires. I have found no pattern on when it is out.

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

just a thought, but i would be leaning more toward the power wires and less toward the hardware. i have no experience with the technology, doing some quick research online, i found some isp's are excited about it. also , transmissions are slower for the home user than cat 5 through a hub or switch, and it is more suceptable to interference from household wiring, especially in older infastructure.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

Do you do something everytime this happens like turning on a microwave or a blender or something like that...

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

The problem probably does lie within the electric circuit you are connecting through.
This can be a really tough item to track down.

Any major appliance cycling, especial like motors in a refrigerator, freezer, washing machine, well pump, etc, can place a high amperage draw on your electrical system that may disrupt the signal.

Some brush type electric motors may also introduce radio frequency interference into circuits too. One might need to find and use an RFI choke or filter if that is the problem. This type of work is of course best left to a knowledgeable electrician.

Also ensure that the wire connections inside the electrical boxes of the circuit you are using are all tight.
Remember to turn of the system circuit breaker before you open any circuit boxes.

Edited by KoanYorel, 22 August 2006 - 10:59 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users