Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How did my download speed increase but then go back to normal upon reboot?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hoogheheg5102

Hoogheheg5102

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:37 AM

So when I'm downloading games I download at about 900 KB/s on average. However one day I turned on my computer, saw it was downloading an update, and it was updating at a whopping 2.2 MB/s on average. I had no idea how that happened, seeing as I haven't downloaded any other program, plugged in anything, and really didn't do anything different that I had before. I thought it was too good to be true so I restarted my computer to see if it would still download at 2.2MB/s, and, well, it WAS too good to be true because after restarting my computer the download speed dropped back to normal at 900 KB/s. I have no idea how this happened. I really liked that 2.2 MB/s hehe, but how come this sudden increase in download speed only lasted until I restarted my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

What game was it? Some game use P2P for updates, which can be fast or slow, depending on if others around you already have the update. If a Blizzard game, see here.

Also, how fast is your internet connection? If that changes then so too will your download speed.

#3 Hoogheheg5102

Hoogheheg5102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

What game was it? Some game use P2P for updates, which can be fast or slow, depending on if others around you already have the update. If a Blizzard game, see here.

Also, how fast is your internet connection? If that changes then so too will your download speed.

I'm downloading games/updates through Steam. How do I go find how fast my internet connection is? 

Also, I just turned on my computer today and it jumped back to a stable 2.0 MB/s download speed. No idea what's happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users