Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad Enable Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcdrone

pcdrone

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

Running win 10 and would like to enable my touch pad. I some how disabled it when I began using a wireless mouse and would like to use it if my wireless goes down. I went into settings>mouse and touchpad than searched everywhere in those setting but could not find enable touchpad anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

Hello pcdrone!

I would suggest looking on your keyboard for a key that might enable the touchpad. A lot of the time the f keys will have functions like that which will be triggered when you press the function key and that f key. For example, on my laptop, I can press fn and f9 and it will disable/enable my touchpad. See if yours has something like that. The icon would probably look like a touchpad with a cross through it.

ZC

#3 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:37 PM

Yes F9 is the key with the mousepad but it does not do anything. The other keys for brightness and volume do not function either. While in device manage if I pull out the usb device for the mouse then the mouse icon disappears and there is no icon for pointer or touchpad.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

Go to Control Panel. See if there is an entry for your laptop touchpad. (On my Asus it is listed as Asus Smart Gesture. For you it may be similar for your brand of laptop or a more generic name).

If there is, open it and poke through the settings; look for something along the lines of Disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in. If there and checked, uncheck it.

Otherwise, what happens when you remove the wireless mouse transceiver? Does the touchpad work then?

#5 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

Tried to attach a pic mouse properties window but it seems to be too large to paste.. In mouse properties there is no Elan tab to click on just the hardware tab that has info for mouse. If i remove transceiver the info in hardware disappears and touchpad does not enable.

I also have an Asus laptop K52F. I looked for Asus Smart Gesture but it does not appear to be in computer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:38 PM

I would go to Device Manager...see if any items reflect a disabled status.

If not...I would go into BIOS and check for the disablement of the touchpad.

Louis

#7 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

I will follow up your suggestion on keypad disabled in bios. I also came across some threads that Asus notebooks lose the use of their touchpad after upgrade to win 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users