Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anybody seen a grown man really cry?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

I found on overstock.com a dell optiplex 9010 tower, intel quad core i7 3770 3.4G, 16G 1TB HD DVD win 7 professional 64 bit pc within a price i can afford.  I was happy til i found out the PSU is only puts out 240 watts?!  I mean really with all that going with it it only put out that much power?  thats less than my crappy emachine and it dont have no where those specs.  how is that dell with those kinda specs is suppose run anything decent?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

you will probably ned to wait for someone who really has their head around power supplies......but I believe the  efficiency  of the unit has a big bearing on its capabilities.....if the overall price is ok for you.....I wouldnt walk away from it because of a psu . Psu's are not that expensive if you actually need to replace it.

Also....the machine is obviously not new and has probably performed ok since new.....so there is likely more to know about its efficiency than you do now.

Personally I would go for it....and sort the bits and pieces out later.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Definitely not giving it a lot to work with, but I'm assuming it doesn't have a graphics card or anything else requiring a lot of power. Not the most upgrade friendly in that case, but I guess the trade-off would be power savings.

( http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator ) recommends a 414 watt PSU, but I suspect there's a decent margin on that. Not that I know much of anything about PSUs :P.

Thinking of getting a new PC? Or just window shopping?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=jN+i
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

#4 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

see if this helps:  

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_9010_technical_guidebook.pdf

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

According to that PDF there are 4 different variations (MT, DT, SFF, USFF). The ones equipped with a 240 watt or higher PSU optionally came with a dedicated
 graphics card in addition to the integrated Intel HD graphics. So I guess it squeezes every last watt outta that PSU.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=sMqD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

#6 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

so i should pass on it?

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

I agree with Condobloke, if it has the specs you want, go for it. Why buy a different machine with poorer specs, just to have a PSU capable of running more than what you're running on it? Dell makes good machines.

You're not a gamer are you? If you are you should establish whether the model you are buying comes with the optional dedicated graphics card, and whether that card meets your needs. If it doesn't you could have trouble upgrading the graphics card without having to buy a new PSU. Personally I don't game, so I can't advise on which cards are any good.

#8 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

yes Mr. hollowface i am a gamer and i was trying to get a machine on the cheap.  this dell has everything im looking for in a machine except i wasnt happy about the PSU  i  wasnt able to read the PDF very well so i couldnt tell what what inboard graphics there was.  if i went ahead and brought the machine im looking at i was going to put my nvidia 750 geforce from current machine into the new one.

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:47 PM

i wasnt able to read the PDF very well so i couldnt tell what what inboard graphics there was.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626136/anybody-seen-a-grown-man-really-cry/#entry4082129

On page 16 of 50 in the PDF it lists the graphics details. 3 of the 4 models had optional dedicated graphics cards. All of the models have Intel integrated HD graphics of some form. I would not expect your machine to come with the optional dedicated graphics card if it is a great price. Does it say on overstock.com?

i was going to put my nvidia 750 geforce from current machine into the new one.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626136/anybody-seen-a-grown-man-really-cry/#entry4082129

Page 21 of 50 lists the power supplies for each of the models (MT, DT, SFF, USFF). Assuming you are looking at the 240 watt model as you've said, that would be the SFF model. According to page 19 of 50 that model supports a max of 50 watts from the PCIex16 slot. Assuming this ( http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750/specifications ) is your card, it recommends the system have a minimum 300 watt power supply, and be able to provide 55 watts to the graphics card. Also, I've no idea if your card is fullsize or low profile, but the SFF model is for low profile graphics cards, not full size cards.

Get a different computer, if possible with a power supply that exceeds your minimum power requirements, as gaming is power intensive.

#10 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:52 AM

thank you mr. hollowface.  i believe the model im looking at is the the full tower model.  the cost i 493.00 with all thats going on with it so im looking at the cost of the pc and the purchase of a new psu to replace the one coming with it.  I do believe my 750 is the full rig so im sure taxing the grapchic card is going to cost power.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Refurbished-Dell-OptiPlex-9010-Tower-Intel-Core-I7-3770-3.4G-16G-DDR3-2TB-DVD-Win-7-Pro-64-Bits-1-Year-Warranty/1

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

Link doesn't work for me.

i believe the model im looking at is the the full tower model.

Are you referring to the MT model? Only MT model's PCIe slot supports enough wattage for your graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users