Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

22 (file missing) errors in my HijackThis log

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chaz166

chaz166

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

A bit of background - was getting weird sluggishness from my Acer laptop (attempting to start Firefox would use the entire CPU), never got the Windows 10 upgrade notification flag (My ASUS laptop did, and I installed, but it is telling me my connection isn't secure when I try to log into very basic sites, like Yahoo for Fantasy football), and have tried to run Comodo and MalwareBytes to snag malware or other bugs. 

I am not proficiently literate enough to know which startup and .dll files are bugged, but when 22 entries show up as (file missing) and paths show up as "@%SystemRoot%" on HijackThis, I knew I needed more competent help. Lots of (Unknown Owner) stuff also.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 chaz166

chaz166
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" 

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

HijackThis hasn't been updated for many years (since the XP days) and has never supported 64-bit operating systems. It's almost useless for the newer operating systems. No files are missing. All logs for 64-bit operating systems will look like that.

#5 chaz166

chaz166
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

I was using it to chop away at things that might be wrong. I have an Acer running Windows 8.1 and an ASUS that's been upgraded to Windows 10. Firefox is shot on the Acer, and on the Asus I'm getting digital certificate challenges in Chrome (that are accepted by a working Firefox), so I'm worried there's something buggy in my router (as well as certainly on the Acer, which never got the flag for the free upgrade to Windows 10). 

Either way, the sfc/ scannow couldn't run, even as an Admin command prompt.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

For what it's worth:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-resource-protection-could-not-start-the-repair-service

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:04 PM

By the way, the first things to check when having trouble connecting to secure sites are your computer date and time.

Also, find the SSL scanning option inside your antivirus and disable it as a test.

Edited by Phantom010, 10 September 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#8 chaz166

chaz166
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

Went through Windows Module Installer, per the link - scanning now. Will post the result per first response. 

In the meantime, many thanks - this can be stressful & frustrating, not knowing how to figure out what's wrong or what to do about it. 

#9 chaz166

chaz166
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:23 PM

Couldn't copy & paste, but here's the cbs file. It's long. 

Will be back tomorrow to check for replies.

Thanks again,

C

Attached File  cbs.txt   7.92MB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users