Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An application that won't run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

Im still using XP professional but can't get a program / app (I don't know which is which anymore) to run.  It's for polishing telescope mirrors and I can't enter any data (parameters) in the lower boxes. There must be an easy download of files that will fix this.  I figure it's just something XP doesn't have. Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks,  Alan

http://martin-cibulski.de/atm/polishing_simulator/

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2016 - 09:27 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Well...looking at the date which appears to be close to development of said program...I would suggest that uninstalling/reinstalling may be the answer.

The program may be unsupported...I find it strange that there appears to be no support of any type, just a download link.  No updates, no FAQ...maybe it's the perfect program...or was thought to be so.

Louis

#3 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

Norton reports the .exe as having the "Insight Network Threat" - certainly could be a false positive. 

Any chance that a Virus Checker is somehow blocking functionality?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:54 AM

I can't answer that...I would assume that the answer is in your Symantec documentation or logs.

Louis

#5 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

Yeah - No updates, no FAQ. Maybe it's just junkware. I could try turning off the antivirus.

#6 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

On my XP machine- move the "realtime simulation window" off to the side to reveal "SETUP" on the main window. Try clicking on "Parameters". In this window, on my machine, I could enter in the parameters to make the animation work.

This is someone's homebrew program that they are making available to others. They probably got it to work for what they needed, then moved on.

#7 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

Brian solved it !  Cool !  Thanks Brian  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users