Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Quickbooks files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

We are a small public water agency in very rural California.  Financial reports coming from our longstanding QuickBooks installation are starting to show nonsensical results.  A call to Quickbooks support produced the statement that our company file has become corrupted and needed "fixing" - to the tune of hundreds of dollars.  I called back and asked the service tech for explanation.  He showed me - too quickly for me to get a clear picture - pages of Event Viewer logs with very many Quickbooks errors, and offered to "fix everything" - in a way that sounded too much like the litanies I've often heard, "your computer is infected, let us fix it".  One time data repair: $400.  One year support: $650.  Two years: $1000.  Three years: $1500.

What is true: that computer has been used for some time by fairly clueless or careless office staff; it is running quite noticeably slowly.  After closing time today I will scan it for viruses, scan with MBAM, run CCleaner, and see what happens.

There are supposed to be daily backups, but I will be a little surprised if those have actually been run every day.

I was the one who originally installed and set up QuickBooks on this system, back when I was a Board member 15 or so years ago.  Later I left the Board, and came back 5 years ago as General Manager.  I have not, however, had daily interaction with the accounting system.  It ran trouble-free for years, until we had a couple of staff changes, and since then (nearly a year ago now) we have had trouble.

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

He showed me - too quickly for me to get a clear picture - pages of Event Viewer logs with very many Quickbooks errors, and offered to "fix everything" - in a way that sounded too much like the litanies I've often heard, "your computer is infected, let us fix it".  One time data repair: $400.  One year support: $650.  Two years: $1000.  Three years: $1500

Sounds like the typical 3rd party support that shows you the Event Viewer errors and tries selling a support contract. I would contact Quickbooks but not the support site and ask if they send their support questions to a 3rd party.

That being said the only thing I can recommend is to right click the corrupted file and select Properties. Under the Previous Versions tab see if you have any previous versions of the file. As far as repairing a corrupt Quickbooks file somebody else would have to answer that question. Did you see this tool from intuit? I would work on a copy of the file, not the original.

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1200525-fix-your-company-file-or-network-with-the-quickbooks-file-doctor

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

I believe that all important client data files for QB are maintained online by Quicken.  If that's true, the only files that could possibly be corrupt would be native program install.  Typically when a program becomes corrupt, the cure is uninstall/reinstall of the program.  Seems to me that QB is ideal for that.

Louis

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

This was long ago but here's a brief update.  Our auditors had a look at this situation and it turned out there was nothing wrong with the Quickbooks "company file".  The only problem was that a careless admin assistant entered several General Ledger revenue postings as negative - so of course the revenues were not properly reported.  Easily fixed once we understood it.  So this item can be considered resolved.  Thanks as always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users