Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 refuses to install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 altonlee

altonlee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

Hi I have a Toshiba satellite l745-s4110 laptop that came out with windows 7.  I have some programs that will not run right on anything else. 

Somehow windows 10 got installed on the computer.

I did not really need the programs so I continued to use 10, but it crashed the laptop would not let me do a restore.  I have the discs for the 7 install, but when I try to install or restore it I get the msg that 7 cannot be installed on this computer.  I finally got win 8 to load on the lap top   But still receive msg that 7 cannot be used on this computer.  

Has anyone had this problem?  And does anyone know how tp force 7 back on?  I have wiped the hard drive but still get the will  not install on 7.

Thanks

Alton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Windows 7 was the OS that came installed on the computer? Are your Windows 7 install disks 32bit? If the drive was converted to GPT Windows 7 32bit cannot be be installed to the disk and it must be wiped.

If not 32bit then do a clean install per this guide. You should first delete all existing partitions.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#3 altonlee

altonlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

it had 32 on it but win 10 changed it to 64 cannot load in either.  I tried to force a manual hd erase but it refuses to allow it.

Thanks

Alton

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Just to verify the following. Right Click Computer. Select Properties. Windows 10 shows as 64bit?

Open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart    This will open a diskpart command prompt window

list disk 

Is there an Asterisk under the GPT column?  

#5 altonlee

altonlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

john it does not show win 10.  There is no asterisk in the column.

It shows it is a 32 bit os x 64 bit

#6 altonlee

altonlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

I should add that when puter crashed with win 10.  I lost sound and dvd, am having to use usb dvd drive.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

If your computer still has the factory restore partition intact then while the computer is booting hold down the zero key. You should get a factory reset window. See these instructions.  https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864

This will take you back to a clean Windows 7 install. Be sure to backup any data you have currently. If the above does not work then try the following.

If you can boot a Windows 8 disk you can wipe the drive. But first try booting your Windows 7 disk. Place it in the computer. Restart and tap F12 to select your boot device. 

At the first screen where is asks for language press Shift + F10

This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     X being the number assigned to your Windows drive. If you have only one drive X will be zero.

clean                This will delete the partition table and essentially leave you with a clean disk

exit                    exits out of diskpart

exit                    exits out of command prompt

If you used a Windows 8 install disk then remove it and boot your Windows 7 disk. If you used your Windows 7 disk then continue with the install.

Follow the clean install instructions I lined to in my previous post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users