Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out Of HD Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry157

dphenry157

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

My desktop PC is basically out of HD disk space - 97% maxxed.  I have attempted to transfer files to a portable HD, but it seems that since my PC HD is so maxxed I'm not able to transfer files in a timely manner. Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

Remove the hard drive...place it as a secondary drive either connected to the motherboard or via USB to another systems...access the data files you wish and move them temporarily to other system, external drive, or other storage media.  The second computer won't be bothered at all by the lack of space on the desktop hard drive.

Louis

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

Try uninstalling all programs possible. Maybe if you can free up enough space you can run the transfer program. See here for tips. Reducing the restore image alone can get you a couple gigabytes usually.

Edited by Trikein, 08 September 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

Removing programs...won't normally free up very much space, IMO.  The largest files on any hard drive tend to be videos, music, games and such...none of which need to be on the C: partition, IMO.

I would turn off hibernation, delete the hiberfil.sys file...turn off System Restore...dump the caches and Recycle Bin...as contributors to the process of finding partition/drive space.

Louis

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

I disagree. IMO the largest files on a hard drive tend to be backups, OS recovery, and video/photo editing software. Windows Office can also be several gigabytes. I don't find many people store music on their PC these days with smart phones being so common. I think OP's issue is they upgraded from XP to Windows 7 so have a smaller harddrive. Getting rid of 2-5GB of a 160GB HDD could mean the difference the program needs to run. I just thought it might be worth a try before having to open the case.

Edited by Trikein, 08 September 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

- Did you run the build-in "Disk Clean up" tool ? That tool can remove A LOT OF obsolete archived system files (assuming you don't want to remove any Windows Updates).

- Delete the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder.

- Run Piriform's CCleaner. It also can remove A LOT OF obsolete files.

- Run Wiztree. The program can tell you what folders contain the most files and what the e.g. 1000 largest files are.

http://antibody-software.com

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

it seems that since my PC HD is so maxxed I'm not able to transfer files in a timely manner.

Depending on the age of the computer, or the age of the portable harddrive, it could be the connection type you are using. Make sure to connect the portable hard drive to your fastest port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users