Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive keep opening on its own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MindOverMatt

MindOverMatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

So, My computer DVD Drive keep opening on its own asking for me to insert a disk in to the D:/ , usually when the computer is woken up but also sometimes at random. I have to reach over the close it via the button. I'm an office IT guy and it frustrates me to hell that I cant determine why it keeps doing this. Scanned for viruses, and spyware and I'm getting nothing and I don't remember when this started as I got use to just closing the drive and going about my business. but this should not be happening and now its getting annoying.

So anybody got any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

It's probably a program installed that left some resources it uses on the disc. You said it happens when the computer is woken, other than that how often does it happen? Since it happens at a wake event, it could be some service or background software that is looking for a disc.

First let's see what you got.

• Download the free version of Speccy from piriform (there is also a "portable" version if you do not want to actually install anything.)
  • Run Speccy.exe if you use a 32-bit (x86) OS or run the 64-bit version of you run a 64 bit OS.
  • Let Speccy do its thing, it may take a while
  • When Speccy finishes click the File Menu and select Publish Snapshot
  • Click Copy to Clipboard
  • Paste the link you copied in your next reply. It should look like this: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tsQ2oSFGAwvqpWwZgknxESl

#3 MindOverMatt

MindOverMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

I was thinking its some background service but i dont see anything that would have any reason to ask for a disk ever. Here's the link http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eWNuYDp7HxRGJAaGsx7TTdp

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

Try a clean boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If that stops the disk behavior, then re-enable things a few at a time until you figure out which it is.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

Try a clean boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If that stops the disk behavior, then re-enable things a few at a time until you figure out which it is.

Good luck!

I was gonna exactly this. Do this OP, then get back to us. 

#6 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

So, My computer DVD Drive keep opening on its own asking for me to insert a disk in to the D:/ , usually when the computer is woken up but also sometimes at random. I have to reach over the close it via the button. I'm an office IT guy and it frustrates me to hell that I cant determine why it keeps doing this. Scanned for viruses, and spyware and I'm getting nothing and I don't remember when this started as I got use to just closing the drive and going about my business. but this should not be happening and now its getting annoying.

So anybody got any ideas?

Did you watch the exorcist on your PC? I saw someone else having a problem with their optical drive from Creative and someone else said it's a common issue with Creative drives. I think maybe going into device manager and disabling it and if you ever need it just enable it for that time.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users