Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus makes you format your hard drive and infects other machines over local net

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 M1k0

M1k0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

First of all , is that possible? Ok , yesterday i downloaded and ran SlimFTPd.exe (nothing happened so i closed the process and deleted the file.) I spent some more time on computer this day but havent opened any other strange files than that. Shutdown the pc , went to bed. Woke up , computer wont boot up (win 10) it stops at loading screen then gives me blackscreen and only cursor (no , ctrl+alt+delete , task manager doesnt show up.). So came up with an idea of making usb with win 10 to use the refresh option. So i started my mums dell laptop (win 7) Boom! What i got? , welcoming message saying "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: HGST HTS545050A7E380- (S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent

Press F1 to Continue"

Right now im sitting here and wondering if t was my fault , a random thing (2 pcs broke same time) or anything else. Waiting for your response

Mod Edit ... moved to Win 7 from Am I Infected ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 08 September 2016 - 01:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

It sounds like your hard disk is dying. SMART stands for "Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology". It is there to report potential failure for hard disks and solid state drives.

It appears your drive is dying, you will have to acquire a new one.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

SMART is the monitoring system which comes with every hard drive which is not ancient.  It's designed to alert computer users when a given hard drive appears headed for failure.

What you should do...is try to backup everything on that hard drive...to a new location, recognizing that that such attempted backup may not be successful.  After that, I would mentally consider the possibility that the drive may fail at any time...I would try to run the following diagnostic, following the directions provided.

GSmart Hard Drive Test, Alexstrasza - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565216/laptop-running-slow-tried-many-things-and-unreadable-files/?p=3613590. 

If you cannot boot into Windows...ignore all of my comments.  It would seem that the drive has failed and no access is possible.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2016 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users