Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons Dissappear

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Amadosa

Amadosa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

Whenever I open up My Computer or anything of that nature and then close it, all of my Desktop icons and my task bar (the Start menu) would disappear and several seconds later it would reappear. Any suggestion to why this happens?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Amadosa! Posted Image
Sounds like you have something that is starting up with Windows that is taking up all your cpu cycles.
But most important, is to make sure that your computer is completely virus/malware-free.A great list of free anti-malware/anti-virus and such types of applications is provided by BC and can be found Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

I have the same problem of disappearing Icons when closing specific windows. My scanners aren't finding anything, so this may be a system glitch.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 Amadosa

Amadosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Thank you for your responses. I will make sure my computer is malware-free before updating on this.

@Orange Blossom. I think it's not a glitch because closing My Computer shouldn't cause any problems.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:26 AM

Orange Blossom,
Have your desktop icons continued to disappear since your August 5th post, where virus and spyware infections were detected on your computer?
Came across this M$ article When Desktop Icons are Missing in Windows Xp,it might help .
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Amadosa

Amadosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:06 AM

Thank you for your response, TMacK, but that website you provided does not pertain to the situation of mine. I have resolved the problem with the help of a friend (yes, you can say that he has a computer obsession problem).

Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate your time and help. :thumbsup:

Edited by Amadosa, 19 August 2006 - 02:07 AM.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:39 AM

amadosa: Glad your problem is solved. :thumbsup: What was the solution? Others may have the same problem and your solution may help.

TMack: Both pre- and post- dates the infection. I'll take a look at the article tomorrow at some point when I can see straight. I just finished yet another online virus scan - this one through security advisor - and got another clean bill of health.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:49 AM

Good that you got your problem sorted out Amadosa. I and others would be interested to hear your fix!

Hope all gets resloved with your scans Orange Blossom.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 Amadosa

Amadosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

The solution to my problem is not very hard. Doing a CCleaner, Ad-aware and Spybot in Safe Mode and lastly doing an ewido online scan should rid you of your Desktop disappearing issue. I was told by my friend that it was the cause of a trojan or something located in system32.

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Glad getting rid of the little nasties in your system fixed the Icon problem Amadosa.
I do however,dislike hearing the word Trojan as they can lead to bigger problems.If your computer is running fine...great. But if not,don't hesitate to post a hijack log in the appropriate forum for the experts to analyse.The Preparation Guide for before posting a HijackThis Log can be found Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for posting your solution Amadosa. The only program you listed that I didn't have was CCleaner. However, it seems my solution, if there is one, will be different as I still have disappearing icons.

It may be because I have a 256 RAM system. The problem is not related to CPU usage, as it occurs even when CPU usage is down to 3%. In my case, it just might be a system glitch.

TMacK: I just read the article you posted the link for, but it's not relevant in my case. In my case the icons disappear, but they come back. Sometimes it's the entire screen at once: all the icons will disappear then a few at a time reappear until they're all back. Sometimes it's a roll-down effect: the ones on top disappear then the middle then the bottom, and while the bottom ones disappear the upper ones reappear. Sometimes it's rather a hopscotch affair: a few in this spot, then a few in another spot disappear then reappear. In every case, each icon disappears then reappears.

p.s. Last night I did the most comprehensive scan the Webroot's SpySweeper can do, and it found nothing. Every scan I do these days comes up clean.

Security Programs on the computer:

ZoneAlarm Privacy Suite
Edwido Free edition
A-Squared Free
Ad-Aware SE with Ad-Watch
SpyBot
SpywareBlaster
SpyWare Guard
CCleaner

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi Orange Blossom;
I don't like to admit defeat so...Try the edit on line 121: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
If nothing changes, try resetting the Taskbar to Default.
And last but not least,the Taskbar Repair Tool Plus! http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
Good Luck!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:25 AM

TMacK:

Line 121: The fix on the left side or on the right side of the page? Also, just what do they do? The site doesn't seem to provide full descriptions that I can find.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup: who is legally blind without glasses. Glasses, such a wonderful invention: I can see the computer! Wow! :flowers:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

It is a Registry Edit and from the description,I would say the one on the left.The instructions on how to installing VBS files are at the very top of the page. FYI,"Kelly"is a M$ MVP,so one would believe it to be safe and worth a try!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

What's an "MVP?"

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users