Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you keep the windows on screen that you want to?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techphobe

techphobe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

For example, I currently have a chrome browser window open, and I need to have a document to read beside it. But when I clink on finder, chrome slides offscreen, so I can only have one or the other. This happens a lot, for example if I want two different browsers on screen, I can only usually get one. I can sort 2 chrome windows next to each other, but nothing else. If there's a simple solution to this please let me know, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

I think you want Mission Control

http://www.howtogeek.com/180677/mission-control-101-how-to-use-multiple-desktops-on-a-mac/

Assuming you have MacOS 10.11 (El Capitan) installed you can use the Split View feature of Mission Control to place two windows side-by-side.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948

Just open Mission Control by opening the application called Mission Control or by using the Hotkeys

Hotkey assignments are located in System Preferences > Mission Control

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

For example, I currently have a chrome browser window open, and I need to have a document to read beside it. But when I clink on finder, chrome slides offscreen, so I can only have one or the other. This happens a lot, for example if I want two different browsers on screen, I can only usually get one. I can sort 2 chrome windows next to each other, but nothing else. If there's a simple solution to this please let me know, thanks.

It sounds like at least some of your programs are set to use fullscreen mode. When in Chrome, do you see menus across the top? If not, then you are in fullscreen mode when in Chrome.

To get out of fullscreen mode, you move your mouse to the very top of the screen and hold it there until the menu bar appears and then either (depends on the version of the macOS that you are using) click the little green dot in the upper left part of the screen/window (for newer versions of the macOS...at least 10.10.x or newer...forget if 10.9.x does it this way or not) OR click the blue (if memory servers) double arrow in the upper right part of the window (for older versions of macOS such as 10.7.x and 10.8.x). This will switch that program back to "windowed" mode.

The alternative is to press Command+Control+F to toggle between turning fullscreen mode off and on for a program.

And each application and/or window can be separately put into fullscreen mode. For example, you can put just one Safari browser window into full screen mode.

#4 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

No, when I press F3 for example it just shows the chrome windows, not the documents, so I don't understand. I can see the menu bar so I assume they're not in fullscreen mode either. I don't remember this problem with windows. I remember you could get a program that would keep the window you wanted on top too.

Edited by techphobe, 08 September 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

No, when I press F3 for example it just shows the chrome windows, not the documents, so I don't understand.

It will depend on the settings System Preferences for both Mission Control & the Keyboard and the keyboard that you are using.

If you use Apple's wired external keyboard* or the built-in keyboard of a rMBP, then the F3 key by default is set to go into Mission Control. This is because by default the function keys are set to operate as special keys and only operate as an actual function key if you press the "fn" key (just to the right of the "delete" key on the wired keyboard or in the lower left corner of a rMBP keyboard). You can switch operation by going into the Keyboard settings in System Preferences under the Keyboard tab. You will see a check box labeled "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". If that box is checked, then the function keys will act as actual function keys.

If using an Apple wired keyboard or the built-in keyboard of a rMBP with the function keys set to act as function keys OR using a non-Apple keyboard, then you can go into the Mission Control settings in System Preferences to pick which function keys will do what function for Mission Control.

* It might be true for the Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard, but I don't have one so I am not sure...I use a wired keyboard.

I can see the menu bar so I assume they're not in fullscreen mode either.

Do you see the menu bar all the time or does it only appears when moving the mouse key to the top of screen?

If it is the former, then I might need to see a video screen capture of what is happening. I say this because the "sliding off screen" that you described would seem to describe a program/window that is in full screen mode and then you switch to another application (in this case Finder).

I don't remember this problem with windows. I remember you could get a program that would keep the window you wanted on top too.

You should be able to do this. In "normal" mode (aka NOT fullscreen mode), a Mac will operate very similar to a Windows computer. Frankly, that is how I tend to operate my Mac 99.999999999% of the time...i.e. I hardly ever use full screen mode...today is one of the few time I have a full screen window...I currently have a Safari window in full screen mode running my TiVo online account watching the Michigan football game while I am on the computer.

Edited by smax013, 10 September 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#6 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

That's what I use the second monitor for too!   :tvhappy:  :busy:

Everything was OK after I restarted which seems to be the solution to most things.  :P

Command+Control+F is a useful tip but it's remembering these shortcuts that's the problem.  :orange:

Thanks very much for being so helpful again.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Command+Control+F is a useful tip but it's remembering these shortcuts that's the problem.  :orange:

Agreed. That is why I just use the little green dot to toggle between fullscreen mode being on and off when I do want to use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users