Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft's Tin Ear For Privacy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

This subject is recurring it seems daily. Here's another:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3117343/data-privacy/microsoft-s-tin-ear-for-privacy.html?ref=yfp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

I find nothing wrong with obligating telemetry data uploads. I understand that people freak out because they do not know exactly what is in the telemetry data. However, it is a necessity in today's world if you want to develop software on that scale. People also freak out because Cortana knows what you type into her. You know...like how Google knows what you typed when you Google'd.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

I think people have a problem with it as the Enterprise version of Windows 10 has the option to disable telemetry. If a retail customer cannot disable telemetry then should the Enterprise customer also not be able to disable it? Or if the Enterprise customer can disable telemetry why can't a retail customer? I understand that is Microsoft's purgative as it's their OS.

If people do not like telemetry on Windows 10 there are other alternatives outside of Windows. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#4 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

I think people have a problem with it as the Enterprise version of Windows 10 has the option to disable telemetry. If a retail customer cannot disable telemetry then should the Enterprise customer also not be able to disable it? Or if the Enterprise customer can disable telemetry why can't a retail customer? I understand that is Microsoft's purgative as it's their OS.

If people do not like telemetry on Windows 10 there are other alternatives outside of Windows.

Exactly !!

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

The question users need to ask is: "Is there anything wrong with telemetry?" I assert that there is not. Business can turn it off because business may need to control everything that goes through their Internet connection. I think it's more about bandwidth than the privacy of information.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

Probably because in an Entreprise environment, you would have to adjust your network in order for telemetry to go through otherwise it would create issues. Just to give you an idea, We block the Windows Update servers internally because we don't want updates to be downloaded and/or pushed by mistake by the user, since they are all delivered via SCCM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Probably because in an Entreprise environment, you would have to adjust your network in order for telemetry to go through otherwise it would create issues. Just to give you an idea, We block the Windows Update servers internally because we don't want updates to be downloaded and/or pushed by mistake by the user, since they are all delivered via SCCM.

Right here we have a perfect example of why Enterprise environments, as well as the people in charge of maintaining them, are different and can make informed decisions regarding telemetry.   Most users of any OS simply cannot and do not.

Microsoft is not unlike most other business entities in that they do not want to expose themselves to any unnecessary exposure to liability.  Most of the bluster about telemetry is by people who have no idea of its purpose nor who understand it's not in Microsoft's business or legal interests to "spy" on any end user.

Anyone who uses a personal digital assistant like Cortana and doesn't realize that intensive data gathering and analysis is part and parcel of the "personal" aspect simply isn't considering the obvious.  It's also not like the data gathering employed if you use the PDA feature of Cortana (as opposed to disabling it and using the remaining Cortana process as a standard Windows search) isn't documented out the wazoo in both the popular press and the agreements you consent to if you choose to use that feature.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

Exactly. Microsoft does NOT spy on the end user. All this spying stuff is just click-bait for tech articles, and is fantasy of conspiracy theorists on many forums. Even if one can not understand what is spying, and what is not spying, and does not care to search for a definition, we do not need to examine MS itself to find out if MS actually spies or not. This is similar to not seeing a mass in the solar system to find out if one exists. We only need to see the effects of the mass to prove its existence. Let me explain very quickly. If Microsoft did spy (and spying implies malicious intent) then there would be vast consequences. We all know that lawyers love to make money. Imagine how many lawsuits would have been filed already if MS were actually spying? Probably so many that MS would now be out of business. So, just from examining how many lawsuits have been filed which is zero, we can conclude that MS is not spying. One more thing. We live in the age of the cloud. So get off your cell phones, and come back to reality. All OSes will be in constant communication with the cloud. This is a very good thing. I love it, and all you people with smart phones, GPS-es in your cars, and smart TVs should love it, too. So stop complaining about Cortana. Stop complaining about Microsoft. Learn to live in a modern world.

Edited by dhjohns, 09 September 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/21/12246266/france-microsoft-privacy-windows-10-cnil

#10 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/21/12246266/france-microsoft-privacy-windows-10-cnil

LOL. Is that a joke?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users