Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista checks for updates but doesn't find any

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afcbears

afcbears

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

Hello all

I've got an 8-year-old Sony Vaio laptop (Intel 1.86Ghz; 2 GB RAM) that's running Vista SP2. I don't use it very often these days as I use Mac OS both at home and at work now.

However, I've recently had to do some work in Serif Page Plus and I've been using the laptop again. I updated MBAM and installed Kaspersky on it for AV protection (I used MSE in the past but had a spare licence for Kaspersky Total Security and decided to make use of it.) 

I've been trying to update Vista. It usually just shows 'Checking for Updates' but doesn't do anything. This morning it did report in the taskbar that it had downloaded updates up to 50%, but when I clicked on the 'New Updates Available' message in the taskbar, it just went back to 'Checking for Updates'. It's been 4–5 hours and nothing has changed. According to the list of updates, the last install was in 2011. That sounds about right, as that's probably the last time I used the laptop. 

As far as I'm aware (sorry – I'm really out of practice with Windows these days!) it's not possible to manually download updates via Internet Explorer like it was with XP?

Any help on this would be much appreciated. I'd really like to get it updated so that it is as secure as it can be while online.

ETA: Sorry. In my haste to post this while working I've just realised there's a topic a little way down the page about the same issue. I'll read through it and report back.

Edited by afcbears, 08 September 2016 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 afcbears

afcbears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

Good news.

After reading through the advice and trying to install the first set of recommended updates, I went to restart and noticed that the system had updates to install.

Approx 5 hours and 153 updates later, it seems all is well. A couple of the .NET Framework updates failed, so I'll try and manually update them later.

Oddly enough, though, Windows Updates still insists that the last check for updates was in 2011, even though it acknowledges that it installed updates yesterday. A bit strange, but not a huge issue.

My MBAM and Kaspersky scans are clear so I'm just trying to get Secunia PSI up and running now and I'll look into what I need to protect from ransomware.

Thanks for these threads! Whatever happened may well have kickstarted the process. Glad to be reasonably up to date and much safer now. :)

#3 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

Good news.  After reading through the advice and trying to install the first set of recommended updates, I went to restart and noticed that the system had updates to install.

Approx 5 hours and 153 updates later, it seems all is well. A couple of the .NET Framework updates failed, so I'll try and manually update them later.

Hi afcbears:

Glad to hear you were able to get Windows Update working again.

If you followed the instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours  and installed any missing Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ just note that this is only a temporary solution.  When the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are released on 13-Sep-2016 you might find that the "Checking for updates..." phase of Windows Update will eventually run to completion if you wait for several hours, but Dalai will likely update his webpage the evening of 13-Sep-2016 and add the KB number for the latest Win32K.sys update that will speed up Windows Update.

I've been using Dalai's workaround the past three Patch Tuesdays with good results and I now have automatic Windows Updates permanently disabled [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] on my 32-bit Vista machine.  I wait a day or two after each Patch Tuesday, check Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, and download and install the standalone update package (.msu file) for the latest Win32K.sys update added to his list.  Once the new Win32K.sys update is installed my manual Windows Update always run "normally" (i.e., "Checking for updates..." finishes in ~ 30 min and not 7 or 8 hours) and my remaining Patch Tuesday updates install successfully.

If you re-boot and run another Windows Update today it might be able to successfully install your .NET Framework updates. These "Checking for updates..." hangs only occur when there are a large batch of updates available for installation, so your Windows Updates should run relatively quickly until the next September 2016 Patch Tuesday batch of updates is released on 13-Sep-2016.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#4 afcbears

afcbears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:09 AM

Hi lmacri

Thanks. :)

Yesterday I spent some time going through and sorting out my old programs, deleting anything that I didn't need and updating anything that I am still using. I left Windows Update running in the background but the message in the taskbar kept telling me that Windows couldn't check for updates. I was doing updates etc for a good 3 to 4 hours. I didn't have a chance to try and do the manual updates as it got too late in the end.

:
It's odd that Win Update doesn't want to seem to work at home: the updates only came down last week when I was at work. I have to bring the laptop to work tomorrow so I'll try Win Update again when I'm there. I can't think that there should be any router settings that are blocking it, though. Perhaps it was just a coincidence in that I tried the fix at work, too.

I always loved Secunia PSI back in the day but I can't seem to get V2 or V3 working. Happily, my Kaspersky Total Security includes a program that performs a similar function.

Edited by afcbears, 12 September 2016 - 04:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users