Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having problems with rebuilt computer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fau100

fau100

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

i have been having problems with my newly built computer or rebuilt after i had to replace components after a power cut the motherboard or internal optical drive seems to be the problem or so i think when i hook up my internal optical drive it wont read my discs and i tested the internal optical drive to see if its broken well the disks arnt spinning 

this would be the 3rd time i had to replace my internal optical drive and its been the same optical drive an LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support SATA Model GH24NSC0B oem and my motherboard is an asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 so now i dont know what to do i just bought a new type of optical drive hopping it will work and yesterday my hard drive showed up in the bios even went to the post screen saying to insert boot media and press any key. now today the hard drive wont show up in the boot priority and i dont see the insert boot media and press any key screen unless i hook up my internal optical drive or insert flash drive

so now im basically im hoping my motherboard or hard drive is not broken or defective 

and im hoping if i can use an external optical drive to install the operating system

and or hopefully get this fixed

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 September 2016 - 05:54 PM.
Duplicated topic merged with this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Please...do whatever enables you to boot into Windows.  Then...

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

Edited by fau100, 08 September 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

From your post, I take it you have not yet loaned the optical drives to a friend to test in his/her computer?
Concerning boot order, what make and model is the computer?  That should "tell" us what UEFI or BIOS you have.  Also, exactly, which Windows in on this computer?

Finishing up from my earlier post, fau100, you're going to need another computer to download a Puppy Linux ISO, using any ISO image burning software  on said Puppy Linux ISO -- create a USB boot stick.  Plugging that usb boot stick into the problem computer, and hopefully being able to boot into and access said computer.  I'm off to work.  Others will be around.\

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2016 - 08:14 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

its a custom built computer and the operating system has not yet been installed 

the motherboard is an asus m5a99fx pro r2.0

cpu amd fx 6300

psu evga 550 nova gs

gpu asus gtx 750ti

ram crucial ballistix sport (2x8) 16 gb

hdd WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM

optical drive LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support SATA Model GH24NSC0B - OEM

cpu cooler ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler

Edited by fau100, 08 September 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#6 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

Please...do whatever enables you to boot into Windows.  Then...

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

but how can i use mini tool box i cant even install an operating system on the computer its just a blank screen that says install boot media and press any key

Edited by fau100, 08 September 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:27 AM

If there is no O/S installed...and your optical drive is not working properly and has valid install media inserted...then it makes sense to me that you would be requested to insert boot media.

Did you access the BIOS and check the main screen to see if any drive is reflected there?

Louis

#8 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

how do i do that?

#9 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

im also getting a light on the motherboard where it says boot_device_led

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

Per http://www.manualslib.com/manual/325447/Asus-M5a99fx-Pro-R2-0.html?page=73 :

Use the BIOS Setup to update the BIOS or configure its parameters. The BIOS screeninclude navigation keys and brief onscreen help to guide you in using the BIOS Setupprogram.

Entering BIOS at startup
To enter BIOS Setup at startup:
Press <Delete> during the Power-On Self Test (POST). If you DO NOT press <Delete>, POST continues with its routines.

Entering BIOS Setup after POST
To enter BIOS Setup after POST:
Press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Delete> simultaneously.
Press the reset button on the system chassis.
Press the power button to turn the system off then back on. Do this option only if youfailed to enter BIOS Setup using the first two options.

Louis

#11 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

yes i have entered the bios and it detected my optical drive and hard drive but it still wont read the disk and my boot priority is set to my optical drive 

Edited by fau100, 10 September 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#12 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

so what else do i do?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

If the hard drive is reflected in BIOS...and the optical drive as well...I would have to guess that either the optical drive or the install disk you are attempting to use...is at fault.  Without any information about the drive...I can't guess what impact UEFI might have on your situation.  The fact that you cite a history of hardware problems...doesn't give me any insights.

Louis

#14 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:14 AM

what more information is needed?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

Test both the optical drive...and the install disk...on a different system, please.  Do not attempt to run the disk on the same optical drive, but see if another optical drive can actually read the file in Explorer view.

If the optical drive is bad...there's no point in pretending that it's not.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users