Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wiping my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cillian

cillian

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

hi

bit of a novice on the computer and looking for a bit of help...

been following some online support stuff for trying to wipe my hard drive (2 years old or more laptop, running painfully slowly, constantly getting messages about the hard disk being full). Was using, or trying to use a prog called DBAN, and running an ISO from the USB. This is where I got lost (as I say, bit of a novice). Trying to get the ISO onto a flash drive. I followed the advice from the same website, using a tool called rufus, all seems well apart from when I click start and it appears as completed I dont get the 'done' message as I should be, it just returns to 'ready', and I am not able to progress past this!

Anyone able to shed a bit of light on this? Much appreciated in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

Why have you decided it is necessary to completely wipe the entire hard drive? What restore process will you follow once your laptop has only a blank drive? Most laptops have a restore partition on the hard drive, this will be erased by DBAN.

Edited by Platypus, 08 September 2016 - 08:21 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cillian

cillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

generally following the advice of stuff I have been reading online. painfully slow, nothing seems to work. Thought it might be the best way to 'spring clean' for want of a better word. All important files and the like backed up onto external hard drive

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

How do you plan to reload the Operating System? Re-installing the OS gives a clean slate, wiping the drive beforehand is generally pointless.

#5 cillian

cillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the advice. 

I have tried to re-install the OS before, nothing changed. possibly I didnt do it correctly. In a nutshell I would like to clean up the computer and get it working like it used to. would you recommend a re-install of the OS for this? (sorry in advance if this is too obvious or a stupid question)

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

What process did you use to re-install the OS? Where is it sourced from?

#7 cillian

cillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

I dont recall off hand what I did, but it was a step by step tutorial from online i think it was abouttech.com . Seemed pretty straightforward at the time but after follwowing the instructions, nothing changed at all after the restart

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Where did the OS come from is the operative thing. You either have to have a source outside the laptop (e.g. recovery DVDs or a bootable flash drive created from an ISO file), or be using the laptop's internal recovery partition. If you need to use the recovery partition, running DBAN will destroy that, and you will have no way to load the OS back onto the system.

Edited by Platypus, 08 September 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#9 cillian

cillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

At risk of sounding very stupid, the OS i got with the computer (windows). Apart from that, I was attempting to wipe the hard drive as I believe(d) that would enable me to 'clean' the laptop and get it back to its best. thanks for the headsup on that, you have saved me some trouble. I was unaware that the OS couldnt be loaded back on. In such a case, is re-install of the OS a better way to do a clean up? 

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Yes, if you had had success with DBAN and wiped the hard drive, you would have ended up with an empty drive and a laptop that did nothing. You would need suitable Windows Installation media to get back in action. Re-installing the OS to original condition is one way to get a clean start, but it will involve Windows updating from scratch as well, and re-installing any software you use that did not originally come set up on the laptop. What version of Windows is installed?

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

+1 with Platypus for the following reasons, some that he already has mentioned:

> First, just because your computer has slowed down does not mean that you can't "fix" it back to original speed again.

> If you use a 3rd party utility to wipe the drive, your restore partition will be wiped as well. Now you will have to purchase a Windows OS disk to install Windows. W7 Utlimate will go well over $100 US.

> When you wipe the disk you will also wipe all the mainboard and chipset drivers that are necessary for running your computer. So...if you insist on doing this, go to your manufacturer's website and download all the drivers for that unit onto a flash drive First. Make double-sure that you get the correct ones, and that they are available. If you can't get them, that unit will never run right using the generic system and video drivers from Windows.

> Make sure you have all the installation disks for whatever programs you have loaded. Those will be wiped also, including all data.

> I suggest that you use a backup utility to back up your entire drive to a restore image before you do anything. That way, if everything goes South (which is not uncommon) you can always restore your system and you are back up and running again.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

That would be possible to provide any advice, is needed to know, what a computer it is, what version of Windows is installed. If possible let us know, what partitions there is.
And it is true, that whole hard drive is not recommended to wipe, but only these partitions, where is (or was) unnecessary content.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

How was your backup of important folders and files done?  I hope with something similar to Macrium Reflect, free or Pro version.  I found out long ago that simply copying and pasting from source to target can be problematic with large files and/or large number of files.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

There are a number of possible scenarios that can cause what you're experiencing, and it's probably best if we can work out the likely cause to advise of the best course of action.

Some possibilities include: the laptop has a small hard drive fitted, the hard drive is adequate but divided into more than one partition, and everything is crowded onto a smaller OS partition with other space unused, or some types of malware can make a system sluggish and fill up the hard drive causing drive full warnings. System settings for backup or system restore points can also be inappropriate and fill up a drive unnecessarily.

It would be helpful if you could follow the instruction in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

#15 cillian

cillian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

Thank you to everyone who took the time to offer device. Following your advice, Ill not bother with the wiping of the hard drive, I will have a look at the link suggested and see if I can get it back to life (or something close to acceptable). Thank you all. I may have questions in future with issues I am having, so I hope that I am able to learn some more from you should I need some more help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users