Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data leakage for home users

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Data leakage protection tools for home users (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you use to protect your system against data leakage?

1. Automatic software updates (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. Multiple data backups (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Data encryption (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

4. Password manager (1 votes [5.26%])

5. Two factor authentication (3 votes [15.79%])

6. Multi-layered security (3 votes [15.79%])

7. Cyber security education (1 votes [5.26%])

8. Antivirus/Anti-malware (2 votes [10.53%])

9. DNS/traffic filtering (1 votes [5.26%])

10. Another solution (leave a comment, if you'd like to contribute) (2 votes [10.53%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 andrazaharia

andrazaharia

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:52 AM

I've noticed that most discussions about data leakage are focused around companies and institutions.

While this is normal, given the impact of data breaches, I think that home users are also vulnerable to this, and most don't exactly know that they're exposed or what to do about it.

So I'd like to ask if this a concern for you and what tools you use to protect yourself from data leakage.

Any feedback will be more than welcomed.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

Fully automated updates are a bit of a risky one, good to do for browser, antivirus,antimalware,plugins, but better to make updates manual and stick to a personal schedule of doing them within a few days of release for updating the OS overall.

Multple backups are very wise, but ensure they are on different sorts of backup too, and have some offline in your house and some offsite in the cloud.

Data encryption makes sense for anything private, you could encrypt your whole disk or just use an encrypted archive for the most private of files. This is especially important as on older versions of windows, and on later versions if set up in certain ways, the windows password is terrifying easy for someone to bypass and read your files. Encrypting the disk or files makes them much mroe secure.

Something else I would suggest is thinking of using ad blocking and script blocking in your browser, makes it much harder to fall vicitm to drive by infections/malvertising.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Oliveseed

Oliveseed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:48 PM

Now, more people carry work to home. This makes us vulnerable to data theft. Data encryption and two-factor authentication are the security measures that I follow for my home systems. Here is an article that I found on stopping online data leakage http://nci.ca/things-we-must-consider-to-stop-online-data-leakage-attempts/ . I hope this is will be helpful. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users