Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getsofteer.com

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

I mistyped a website I wanted to go to and a popup appeared that said "new media is available" and it wanted me to go to getsofteer.com. Couldn't delete the popup nor could I quit safari. Had to hold the start button in to turn my iMac off and then start it again. 

Anyone know anything about this website and how to prevent the popup from happening again? 

Thanks.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

Well, I've had several things like this happen before on my iPad. Mis-typed the URL and that got me into trouble... sometimes scams, scareware, etc. Usually I can just close the browser, and that's it.

For a Mac, I'd be slightly more concerned and would scan with MalwareBytes for Mac. If you need to force quit an application follow this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201276

My best advice is that you always verify that you've typed a URL correctly. :)

Good luck!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

If the pop-up re-appears when you open up Safari again, then it is likely a javascript based pop-up that is loading because Safari is set to open up the last page opened...and that page is the one you mis-typed since you had to force shutdown the Mac.

To get past this, hold down the Shift key while starting up Safari. This will prevent the "remembered" page from loading and you will get just a blank Safari window. I will note that this will nuke any other opened windows or tabs that Safari "remembered" from the last session. So, if you had other windows or tabs open when you went to this page, those windows and tabs will be gone as well.

#4 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Ok thanks fellas. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users