Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Standard Users Unable to Login - Windows couldn't connect to the...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cbrueckman

cbrueckman

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I shut down my desktop before I went away for the weekend.  Today, on my return, when I boot it up none of my standard users are able to log in.  Each time, I receive a message "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service.  Please consult your system administrator."

I am able to log in using my administrator credentials, though I believe I saw a notification flash at the bottom of my screen with something about the Group Policy Client service.

OS - Windows 10 Home

x64

Original OS - Win7 (OEM) Win10 version 1511 OS build 10586.545

OS​ = Win10 installed July 29, 2016

CPU - Intel i5-2320, 3GHz

Video - Intel HD Graphics

System Manufacturer - Gateway

Model - DX4860

Edited by cbrueckman, 07 September 2016 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Adding the Admin events from Event Viewer

Attached Files

#3 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

Almost a week and NO response??????

Thought this might be related to an update error so I tried to check via Settings>Update & Security.  Windows Update displays NOTHING and then closes the entire window after about a minute.

Suggestions??

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:49 AM

Perhaps there may be some help info here

http://superuser.com/questions/958281/suddenly-started-to-get-a-couldnt-connect-to-the-group-policy-client-service-w

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:53 AM

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

Opera and FreeBoot, thank you for your reposnes.  I was aware of the instructions your provided though not from those specific sites.  I hadn't explored them because they didn't seem to address W10.  Following your posts, I looked into them further and watched the video.

My HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...Services already contained the gpsvc folder.  The ImagePath contained the "netsvcs" entry instead of the GPSvcGroup, so I viewed the alternate, embedded video at www.youtu.be/ZUQNVhwVBpY.

Checking my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...SVCHOST showed the netsvcs value in the right window already contained GPSvc, but not all the others, shown in the video.

The netsvcs folder was already in the left window and contained all the values described in the video PLUS CoInitializeSecurityAllowInteractiveUsers, Type =  REG_DWORD, Value of 1 (Hex).

I read through many of the comments on the video and saw several who had the same situation, but no real fixes.  One said he then followed the instructions from the first video with success, but his description did not saw which specific steps he followed.  For instance, did he change his ImagePath to match the first video, or leave it to match the second?  I hesitate to make such changes to my registry without expert advice.

#7 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Saw another post about running SFC and DISM to scan and "autocorrect" issues.  So rather than mess with the registry without knowing exactly what I am doing, I elected to run the DISM from the command box.  It reset my entire browser and wiped out the history, so unfortunately, I cannot provide the link.  I beleive eht command line was something like:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, followed by SFC /scannow when it completed. 

Rebooted the computer and no more missing GPS message, standard users able to log in and use any/all browsers.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

Nice to hear you have resolved the issue you did good choice of not making any changes to registry values data.

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 September 2016 - 11:28 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users