Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feedback Asked On Security Software Combination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raulphie

raulphie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

After downloading and running different security freeware programs recommended here, I've settled on the following combination:
Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro
Anti-virus: AVG Free
Anti-spyware/malware:
Resident programs SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard
On-demand programs: Spybot with Tea-Timer disabled
AdAware
Ewido with resident shield disabed
a2
The above so far seem effective and no conflcts as of yet.
My objective is to get (quoting one moderator here) a "solid wall of security" as is possible, having spent many hours undoing damage to infected computers. My question is; have I missed something? Any recommendations to improve/change/add to the above? I ask in all humility as everything I know about computers was learned through forums and tutorials on this website, and I have a long way to go.
Thanks in advance for any imput. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

Well, you certainly have learned well, and you have a very solid moat around your hard drive. While everyone has personal preferences about applications, you have chosen very good ones.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

jgweed,
I contemplated downloading Spywareblaster and/or Spywareguard but thought they would just "double up" on what Ad-Aware and Spybot provided? No?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

What an application searches for,TMacK, and therefore will potentially find, depends on the set of criteria decided upon by the companies creating it. Until the criteria become standardised, having multiple applications is certainly useful in keeping your computer clean, since one spyware application may find something the others missed. How many one uses, and whether one gets enough "bang for the buck" by adding applications is perhaps as much a matter of one's browsing habits and the extent one follows best security practices as it is anything else.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Thanx for your advise jgweed,
I guess one can never have too many applications when it comes to security,no matter how safe one tries to browse.
I do like the idea of having Fort Knox around my HD!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users