Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost files after upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EJON12

EJON12

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:07 AM

I was using Windows 7 enterprise, recently upgraded to Windows 10, but lost so many important files. How do i get those files back? what was the mistake?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

Look for a folder called Windows.old. Your files should be in that folder.

#3 EJON12

EJON12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:19 AM

there is no such folder in my Windows 10 system, searched each and every folders

Edited by EJON12, 19 September 2016 - 05:24 AM.

#4 j9ksf

j9ksf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

I have the folder but only drivers are included.

Edited by j9ksf, 19 September 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

Then your files are most likely gone. You can try scanning the drive with software such as Easeus Data Recovery but because of length of time Windows 10 has been on the computer the files have probably been overwritten. The less you write to the drive the better so the optimal solution would be to pull the drive and attach it to another computer and do the scan. 

You have 30 days to revert but that option was for the free version which expired on July 29 and that would be if all the files were still in Windows.old.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

I was using Windows 7 enterprise, recently upgraded to Windows 10, but lost so many important files. How do i get those files back? what was the mistake?

I hate to say it but you asked. The mistake was not not doing a full back up before you upgraded. It is a valuable lesson.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users