Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading graphics adapter on old T6412 eMachines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:01 AM

I bought a brand new ATI Radeon X700 Pro PCIe (PCI Express) 256MB graphics card.  I don't know what "needs 1 X16 lane" means.

I need to install this on my T6412, which has a free PCI slot, and it has one black slot free near the middle of the mobo.  One of my PCI

slots is occupied by a Wireless adapter.

I checked the power supply, it's a Bestec Model - ATX-300-12E.  Rev. D.  So it's peak power with all voltages,

12, 5, 3.3 is about 288Watts, and with only 5, 3.3 is only about 180 Watts.  It's dimensions are 5 15/16" W x 3 5/8" H x 5 3/8" D (depth).

So if I were to upgrade the supply, is there a nice supply I can buy?

Then I have a question - is there some sort of external power I need to plug into the card?  I have the installation manual in front of

me and I'm trying to make sense of it now.

Just curious 1) Should I put a 400W or 500W supply in, and 2) Does the card have an extra cable (I'll keep checking the manual).

And 3).  Do I really need to uninstall the drivers for the onboard video?  I think if I install the new card that it will automatically disable

the onboard.  I just didn't want to do that extra step.

Any help appreciated.  I can wait a day or two to do this job.

Thank you.  Here is a link to a forum post that discusses this: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/emachines-t6412-upgrade-options-142747/

I'm beginning to wonder if I got the wrong card.  Should I not have bought the PCIe, but instead, the PCI?

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2016 - 06:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

So PCIe is a serial standard.  If the black slot is AGP, perhaps I should hunt around for an AGP video card? ?? I doubt they would make an adapter or something to convert

PCI slot to PCIe.  That might be hard to do.

So I guess it's time to buy an AGP video card.

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#3 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Some emachines t6412's have pci express slot, perhaps mine does?  But I don't think that those emachines support pcie power connection to the card.  I need to look into this, perhaps I can just buy a new supply, and get one that supports graphics cards that need power.

But for now, I keep getting no information found when I put my serial number in?  I can't seem to get my pc's original config.  I can open it again and look inside if need be.  This is getting tedious.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

What ever the case, you should upgrade the PSU. The emachines is most likely 300W. You can pull the side panel and see if you have a PCIe X 16 slot. I don't know what PCIe version it would be though.

According to the specs you do have a PCIe X 16 slot. As you can see from the date of 2005 the PCIe version is either 1.0a or 1.1. Your card speed would step down to the bandwidth of the lowest version. You may have issues with a new graphics card if the slot is 1.0a but if 1.1 it should be fine as the versions are backwards compatible.

http://www.trentonsystems.com/applications/pci-express-interface/

Here is your support page.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

Here are the typical specs for an eMachines T6412.  It DOES mention a PCIe X16 adapter slot! I guess I just need to figure out which one is that slot.  And then get an appropriate power supply - maybe this IS doable.

eMachines T6412

Part Number: T6412

15 Related Models

General
  • Recommended Use
    home use, small business
  • Product Form Factor
    Tower
  • Packaged Quantity
  • Manufacturer
    eMachines Inc.
Processor / Chipset
  • CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ / 2.2 GHz
  • 64-bit Computing
    Yes
  • Data Bus Speed
    800 MHz
  • Chipset Type
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS482)
Cache Memory
  • Installed Size
    L2 cache - 512 KB
  • Cache Per Processor
    512 KB
  • Type
    L2 cache
  • Per Processor Size
    512 KB
  • Installed Size
    512 KB
Memory
  • Max Supported Size
    4 GB
  • Form Factor
    DIMM 184-pin
Storage
  • Type
    none
  • Read Speed
    16x
RAM
  • Technology
    DDR SDRAM
  • Memory Speed
    400 MHz
  • Memory Specification Compliance
    PC3200
  • Technology
    DDR SDRAM
  • Installed Size
    512 MB
Display
  • Type
    none.
Hard Drive
  • Spindle Speed
    7200 rpm
  • Type
    HDD
  • Installed Qty
  • Capacity
    200 GB
Audio & Video
  • Memory Allocation Technology
    shared video memory (UMA)
Storage Controller
  • Type
    IDE
  • Installed Qty
Input
  • Type
    keyboard, mouse
Processor
  • Installed Qty
  • Max Supported Qty
  • Type
    Athlon 64
  • Processor Number
    3400+
  • Manufacturer
    AMD
  • Clock Speed
    2.2 GHz
Optical Storage
  • Drive Type
    DVD-Writer
  • Type
    DVD±RW (±R DL)
  • Interface Type
    IDE
Card Reader
  • Type
    8 in 1 card reader
  • Supported Flash Memory Cards
    CompactFlash Card, Memory Stick PRO, Microdrive, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SmartMedia Card
Storage Removable
  • Type
    none
Header
  • Brand
    eMachines
  • Product Line
    eMachines
  • Model
    T6412
  • Packaged Quantity
  • Compatibility
    PC
Networking
  • Max Transfer Rate
    56 Kbps
  • Data Link Protocol
    Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
  • Form Factor
    integrated
Monitor
  • Monitor Type
    None.
System
  • Type
    personal computer
  • Hard Drive Capacity
    200 GB
Graphics Controller
  • Form Factor
    integrated
  • Graphics Processor
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 shared video memory (UMA)
  • Video Interfaces
    VGA
Chassis
  • Form Factor
    tower
  • Manufacturer Form Factor
    tower
Dimensions & Weight
  • Width
    7.2 in
  • Depth
    16 in
  • Height
    14.3 in
Audio Output
  • Form Factor
    integrated
  • Sound Output Mode
    5.1 channel surround
  • Compliant Standards
    AC '97
Mainboard
  • Data Bus Speed
    800 MHz
  • Chipset Type
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS482)
Printer
  • Type
    none
Telecom
  • Modem
    Fax / modem
Physical Characteristics
  • Form Factor
    tower
Power
  • Type
    power supply
Operating System / Software
  • OS Provided: Type
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
  • OS Provided
  • Type
    AOL 9.0 (with 6 months membership included), Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Office 2003 (Trial), Microsoft Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft Works 8.0, Napster Software (Trial), Nero Suite 6.0, Norton Internet Security 2005 (90 days subscription), RealPlayer, Apple QuickTime, BigFix, Cyberlink PowerDVD , Google Toolbar, McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 (Trial), Microsoft Encarta Online, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Money 2005
Video Output
  • Graphics Processor
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200
  • Graphics Processor Series
    ATI Radeon
  • Video Interfaces
    VGA
Video Memory
  • Memory Allocation Technology
    shared video memory (UMA)
Audio Output Details
  • Speaker Type
    right / left channel
  • Speakers Qty
Input Device
  • Type
    keyboard, mouse
Expansion Slots
  • Type
    CPU, DIMM 184-pin, PCIe x16
  • Total Qty
    1, 1
  • Free Qty
    0, 1
Interface Provided
  • Type
    FireWire, LAN, modem, parallel, PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, USB 2.0, VGA, audio line-in, audio line-out, headphones, microphone
  • Qty
    1, 1, 2, 7, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
OS Provided
  • Family
    Windows XP
  • Edition
    Windows XP Home Edition
  • Type
Power Device
  • Type
    power supply
General
  • Manufacturer
    eMachines Inc.

#6 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Thanks JohnC_21, I need to figure out which slot the PCIe x16  is on the motherboard, and then which version.  I don't know yet - I had my side panel off this morning to see which power supply I had.

When I enter my serial number, I get S/N not found.  This will take some research.Attached File  350px-PCIExpress.jpg   41.47KB   0 downloads

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

The PCIe X 16 slot is the longest slot on the MB. I am pretty sure yours is v1.1 but I can't find anywhere that confirms it. On the emachines it may be a black slot. It may have something in the Manual on the support site I linked to. 

350px-PCIExpress.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#8 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

Now that we have a pic, I can look inside.  Somehow, I should be able to go into the BIOS and check if the slot is v1.1.  So I need to find a power supply now.  I suspect my black slot is the PCIe, as you said.

#9 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

I checked the BIOS, it doesn't seem to tell me much.

Do you know, can I just plug the graphics card in the slot, then boot up?  After I put the new supply in I mean.  Do I need to attach a power cable to the card itself?

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

I don't think the card needs an additional power source. I looked at the card and it seems you may get by with your current PSU. I have an old emachines with an AGP slot and when I added a card I had to change a setting in BIOS. Some motherboards will automatically switch over.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/20/radeon-x700-pro

#11 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

Ok, so same basic PSU will do.  Now my only question is, should I disable the onboard mobo graphics drivers before my last shutdown, or just assume that the new graphics can be installed?  The manual says to disable the existing drivers, but the manual may be assuming that I'm replacing an existing card.  I will simply leave the onboard drivers as they are, and simply assume that my new card is a totally different device.  I am assuming that I cannot use both graphics systems, and 2 monitors.  I'm just curious if I can have two monitors.  I think I can, but I'm not sure that the onboard can still be used once I go

over to the ATI x700 Pro.  So I'm ready to open the case and install the card next chance I get.  Thanks for your help.  We'll see how it goes.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

You cannot use both graphics systems at the same time. On my emachines I left the integrated graphics drivers alone but I was able to switch settings in BIOS. If the manual says to disable the drivers then I would do that. Don't uninstall, disable in Device Manager.  Look for a setting in BIOS that enables your PCIe graphics.

When installing the card remove the power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds to draw off any power then touch some bare metal on the case to ground yourself. 

#13 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Attached File  NewATIX700Pro.jpg   186.34KB   0 downloads

This shows my first boot up - as I had said, although it got deleted, it booted fine after I installed the video card.  I did not disable the onboard.  The screen is a perfectly clear 640 x 480.  I need to install the Catalyst Suite to get the right drivers.

I had accidentally left the monitor turned on when I switched it from onboard to the new card.

So this pic is what a 640 x 480 looks like.  This should improve although it would be fine for someone who had trouble seeing.

It's almost astonishing that I started investigating this totally messy video problem that mad ethe computer almost unusable 5 years ago, maybe more.  FInally, I fixed it.  I just

hadn't had the time.

Thanks to JohnC_21 for helping out.

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

Nice. Once you have the drivers installed you should be good to go. AMD has a nice utility that automatically scans your hardware and determines what needs to be downloaded and  installed. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#15 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

I now have the Radeon X700 Pro drivers installed.  For one of my boots, I had the drivers as RV410Pro.  Oops - I guess it did something automatically.  That's not really what I wanted.  But it's 1920 x 1080 now.  And under Control Panel Device Manager Display Adapters, it has the correct drivers (now that I've installed the Catalyst Suite).  So embarassingly, my system was running off of the wrong drivers for a while.

Edited by PetarSickey, 07 September 2016 - 04:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users