Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to figure out the reason why my laptop is broken.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aldrichk

aldrichk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:27 AM

So my laptop is an Acer aspire V5 - 552 model, not sure if that is important, but I can't turn it on anymore. Here's the life story of this sad laptop before it died. When I was using it in college, this laptop occasionally turns on randomly at night so I assumed it was a windows update or something like that so I ignored it. (Several months passed). I can turn on the computer, sometime boot to login screen, and even rarely get to login and load windows, but then the laptop randomly turns off. A couple of days later, the turning off frequency increased. (A year later has passed). Now that I have another laptop, I want to know what's wrong with the acer laptop. I can't even power up the laptop. I looked inside and none of the capacitors seemed to have blown or become bad since the top looks relatively flat. It can charge with the ac adapter since the yellow turn on which means its charging. I also tried disconnecting the battery from the motherboard and then charging it with the laptop, but the light didn't turn on. I don't know how to take off the cmos battery so i didn't try. This is my current situation right now. I am not an experience in fixing computers, so most of the technical jargon I spew out I may not understand what it means. Also the fact that I can't get into computer engineering for my major should explain the need for detailed explanation or instructions if I want to learn which part of that laptop is broken. Also, thanks in advance to anyone responds to this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

You may never know the reason that this laptop is broken. In fact, finding out the reason seems so metaphysical when it seems beyond the scope of any repair that is necessary to fix the laptop. Instead of thinking about the reason that this laptop broke you should concentrate on finding out what is wrong with your laptop and correcting it.

Does this laptop have an optical input or are you able to get into the BIOS to boot from USB? I would recommend as a first step to create a usable boot installer on a DVD or a USB stick and try to install a good reliable operating system into your computer. Go here and download a computer OS ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/download and if you need help to set up a bootable media, we can help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Actually as a first step I would recommend that you open up your computer and use compressed air to clean out as much dust as you can. Laptops have a way of accumulating dust and this dust can reek havoc. After you clean out the laptop real good then try to install the OS as I described above.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 aldrichk

aldrichk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

Um... actually I don't think I can turn on the laptop. It can charge, but I don't think it turns on anymore. I got it to go onto the boot screen once but it immediately crashed and shutdown. Should I still air can the laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users