Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk usage consistently high -- various "legit" culprits

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cottonjb

cottonjb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

I need some guidance about experiencing my disk getting hammered by Windows 10.

Disclaimer: this is on a limited Lenovo laptop with a slower spinning disk and only 2Gb ram, so I might not even notice on a beefier machine, but right now a bunch of apparently "routine" scheduled tasks and windows-related processes seem to be killing my disk. It's death by a thousand cuts...

The main ones I'm running into are:

• SrTasks.exe
  • TiWorker.exe
  • svchost-LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
  • rundll32 (AEINV.DLL, ProgramDataUpdater)

So I've made sure I'm opted out of the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" (CEIP) in PC Settings. Being paranoid, I also went into Task Scheduler (Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program) to disable the 3 tasks related to it (Consolidator, KernelCeipTask, UsbCeip), and also disabled the ProgramDataUpdater task (Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience).

I'm not sure what to do about the others, if anything.

Is this just a case of "Doctor, it hurts when I do that" (i.e. run Windows 10 on a bare bones laptop), so...don't do that?

Or, are there known Windows 10 tweaks to turn a bunch of background crap off that I just need to be educated about?

Or, is there something more potentially happening here (whether malicious or just corrupted)?

Happy to provide any additional info, follow any tutorials, etc. Grateful for any help.

Cheers,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cottonjb

cottonjb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

"ProgramDataUpdater" ran tonight and spiked disk use to 100% again. So obviously my attempts to disable it via the Task Scheduler didn't work. I killed it in Task Manager.

Help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users