Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected - Lost Admin Rights

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob Harding

Bob Harding

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Update

I've manages to stop the shared access service

(cmd prompt - "sc stop SharedAccess" and "sc delete Shared Access")

I've killed off the svcvhost entries with Hijackthis

I've deleted the windows\system32\svcvhost.exe file with killfile

everything looks good

I did all this once and it was fine for 15 minutes then it all came back - everything - no idea why

I've done it again and it's stayed fixed for 20mins or so - looking OK at the moment.

Still no command prompt and no windows firewall

current log is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:29:20, on 18/08/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Utilities\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\fppdis2a.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Utilities\Skype Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Utilities\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Utilities\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\UTILIT~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\UTILIT~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogonStudio] "C:\Program Files\Utilities\LogonStudio\logonstudio.exe" /RANDOM
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pdfFactory Pro Dispatcher v2] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\fppdis2a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Utilities\Skype Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Utilities\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Utilities\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\UTILIT~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1144762899859
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1144763800015
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.5.0_06) -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: MCPClient - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\mcpstub.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Utilities\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

Hey there Bob and welcome to Bleeping Computer's security forum.
My name is David, I will be helping you with your log today.

So far i think you've done a pretty grand job of removing all the malware off your system as the Hijackthis log above is now clean. My only concern is that you say you removed it all before and it came back again. This could be anything from a reinfection due to your lack of protection (no antivirus installed for example), or you have some hidden downloaders on your system which keep reinfecting you as long as you have them on your system. I'll do my best to root out the bad files if they are present, then try and repair any damage done by the malware.

I have seen cmd.exe get corrupt a couple of times for no apparent reason, though suspected malware. Or the default path to c:\windows\system32 may be lost but that would cause a host of problems. But you could try start/run c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe to see.

If not try start/run c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\cmd.exe
and see if that copy works. If so then copy it over the one in c:\windows\system32. There is also a cmd.exe in c:\i386, but that is the pre-sp2 version I believe.

If not, try start/run c:\windows\system32\command.com - the old command interpreter. If that doesn't work either then likely the problem lies in the core of Windows and a repair might be in order. Let me know how that goes.

I saw in your other thread that the task manager isn't working.
A simple regedit should be able to fix this.

Please open notepad and and copy and paste next bold in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT 4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"**del.DisableTaskMgr"=" "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DisableCAD"=dword:00000000

Save this as "fix.reg" Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

One thing we also must do is install an antivirus, you don't have one active!
This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world.
You need to install an antivirus program as soon as you can and run a complete scan of the computer.
AVG and Avast are excellent, free antivirus programs..
Never install more than one antivirus on your system - several together can cause problems and decrease performance.

I also see that you have lost your admin rights.
Can you logon to the Administrator account in Safe Mode? If so, you should be able to restore administrator rights to the user accounts there.

If that doesn't work, while still in Safe Mode, Administrato account, try this: Go to Start>Run, type in control userpasswords2 (note the space after "control"), click OK.

Double click on an account you want to change, then go to the Group Membership tab, select Administrators in the drop-down list, click OK. Do that for each user account.
If you get the admin rights back, see if you can turn back on the firewall.

Now, let's have a look for any remaining malware on the computer.
Please download, install, and update Ewido anti-spyware
Load Ewido and then click the Update tab at the top.
Under Manual Update click Start update.

After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")
Then click on the Scanner tab at the top.
Click the "Settings" tab and then change the recommended action to Quarantine.
Click Automatically generate report after every scan.
Click back to the "Scan" tab and then click on Complete System Scan.
This scan can take quite a while to run, so be prepared.
Ewido will list any infections found on the left hand side.

When the scan has finished, it will automatically set the recommended action.
Click the Apply all actions button.
Ewido will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
Click on "Save Report", then "Save Report As".
This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again (like on the Desktop).
Close Ewido and reboot!! I need the log later.

Please download Combofix to your desktop.
Doubleclick combo.exe to launch the application.
Follow the prompts that will be displayed on the screen.
Don't click on the window while the fix is running, because that will cause your system to hang.
When finished, it should produce a log, combofix.txt.
Post this log in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog.
Also post the ewido log.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users