Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beta News Flash Player NPAPI for Linux

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Beta News – Flash Player NPAPI for Linux

fp_linux.png

Linux users have access to both NPAPI and PPAPI versions of Flash Player.  However, for the last four years, the NPAPI version has been held at 11.2 and regularly updated with only security fixes while the PPAPI version (used in Chrome and Chromium based browsers), is in line with the standard Windows and Mac releases.

Today we are updating the beta channel with Linux NPAPI Flash Player by moving it forward and in sync with the modern release branch (currently version 23).  We have done this significant change to improve security and provide additional mitigation to the Linux community.

In the past, we communicated that NPAPI Linux releases would stop in 2017.  This is no longer the case and once we have performed sufficient testing and received community feedback, we will release both NPAPI and PPAPI Linux builds with their major version numbers in sync and on a regular basis.

Because this change is primarily a security initiative, some features (like GPU 3D acceleration and premium video DRM) will not be fully implemented.

https://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2016/08/beta-news-flash-player-npapi-for-linux.html

So far only 32-bit and 64-bit binaries of the 23 release are available for download at the link below:

Flash Player 23 Beta for Linux (NPAPI)

For Linux, the binary is just a file called: libflashplayer.so. To use it, do:

1. Install Flash Player 11.2 from Canonical Partners repository:

• Launch Software & Updates, and enable Canonical Partners repository in Other Software tab. Then close it.

enable-canonical-450x167.jpg

• Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to install Adobe-flashplugin: sudo apt update; sudo apt install adobe-flashplugin

2. Move the libflashplayer.so file you just downloaded to /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/ folder by running the command:

sudo mv ~/Downloads/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/

And change the ownership via:

sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Finally restart Firefox browser and check your flash version:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:43 AM

Thanks very much for this info, Nick.

I've downloaded the binaries, tested them out in both 32-bit and 64-bit Pups, and have already run up a couple of .pets to help get the Puppy membership up-to-date..!

One of our members, Geoffrey, ran up an Auto-Updater .pet for Puppy about 18 months ago. The script checks the available version at the Adobe Flash Download site, compares it against the installed version, and if the installed version is older, will then download and automatically install the new version. The .pet can be set to run at boot; if there is a new version available, all the user has to do is give a single click to start the update process. Works really well, too.

We don't hang around in Puppy-land..! If it's available, we'll use it (after suitable testing, of course!)

Would you be agreeable to my providing the MediaFire download link, so any Puppy users on BC can avail themselves of the new .pets? If that's not permissible, no worries; regs are regs, after all.

Cheers, anyway.

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:59 AM

well face it, flash is still something that is found just about everywhere.
Its dying a slow painful death but those death throws are quite huge.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hey,Madman.

I'll tell ya this, mate; I, for one, will be very glad to see the back of FlashPlayer. HTML5 everywhere can't come soon enough for me.

Having taken on keeping NPAPI and PPAPI flash plug-ins updated for the Puppy community, coo.....it's a nightmare. Somebody's gotta do it, though. Many of the older machines that Puppy members use can't always run HTML5 properly yet......  :P

It's self-inflicted, I know..! (*shrug*)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 September 2016 - 10:21 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Would you be agreeable to my providing the MediaFire download link, so any Puppy users on BC can avail themselves of the new .pets?

That will be fine, Mike. The rules regarding links to software have been reviewed, and posting links to Linux software that's hosted on file sharing sites is now allowed in the Linux forum. :)

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi, Al.

Ah; that's excellent news. Is this review just for our little corner of BC.....or is it for the entire Forum?

Whatever the reason, I can certainly understand the previous restriction, and the reasons behind it. When I first joined, a few months ago, I offered all three XP service packs ( the stand-alone Network Administrator type, which I'd had archived on disk for several years, and about 6 months ago uploaded to my Google Drive.....in case anybody wanted them).

I'm totally Windows-free these days.....but they're still there, if anyone wishes to avail themselves of them. However, I got a sound 'ear-bashing' from Queen Evie for my trouble; though in all fairness, as she pointed out to me, it's not actually in the rules anywhere. I wasn't to know.....and it was quite a gentle rebuke, really..!

Well, then; fair enough.

If anybody's interested in trialling these .pets, bearing in mind that this is currently a beta release (though they appear to work fine, for the most part.....some slight stuttering on YouTube, according to a few reports so far on the Puppy Forum), you can find them on my MediaFire a/c, at the following link:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/55ur67hq2wiec/New_NPAPI_Flashplayer_.pets

I've run up both 32- and 64-bit .pets, so just select the right one for your architecture. Don't forget, if you're not happy with the way they work, it's easy enough to rollback to the current 11.2.202.632 version; just use the .pet from OscarTalks' 'Smokey' repo, from here:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/flashplayer11-11.2.202.632-i386.pet

Anyone who's interested, give them a try, please. Any feedback would be appreciated, as to behaviour under normal usage. FF (and related browsers.....SeaMonkey, Iceweasel, etc.) are not my first choice as to a 'front-line' browser; I fell under Chrome's spell many moons ago..! However, I wanted to try and make these available for testing purposes, so.....see what you think, please.

As stated above, web-wide adoption of HTML5 really can't come soon enough for me!

(Edit:- Al, you should find, even in Lucid, that these will install OK.....if you wish to try it out. Even that far back, 'libflashplayer.so' installed to the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory. It does in my 5.2.8.7, anyhow.)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 September 2016 - 05:47 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the links Mike. Posting links to software is still pretty much decided on a case by case basis, but in the case of Linux it's just fine. :)

I can't really say much more here without getting into an off topic discussion, so will send you a PM (later today) with more details regarding the other forums.

Edited by Al1000, 09 September 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

Agreed. But this is still good news I can now watch Netflix or Hulu in Firefox although FF 49 will have DRM plug-ins preinstalled so Firefox users will have even more options to watch content on the web. :)

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

Agreed. But this is still good news I can now watch Netflix or Hulu in Firefox although FF 49 will have DRM plug-ins preinstalled so Firefox users will have even more options to watch content on the web. :)

^^^ +1!

Nice one.  :thumbup2:

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users