Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 SSD Install Need to know all!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Win98

Win98

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

I have ordered a 32gb ssd for my Compaq Armada V300. Also got two sticks of 256mb ram for it. My plans are to make it super badass and usable. I love using it! I just recently got USB to work. It has one USB port(although USB 1, but I do have a PC card to two USB 2.0 ports working as well). Also got a Linksys wireless PC Card to work as well. Had to install internet explorer 5.5 before the cd software would play nice. I had I.E. 5 before it. It's awesome to browse the web with it. I downloaded Opera 9.6 to replace I.E. as it failed to load some parts of some pages. Opera is much better on this system.

What I plan to do is max my ram(currently 64mb) and turn virtual memory off so I can install the ssd. I need to know how I may clone my current 4.3gb old hdd to the new ssd. I may want to partition it so I can dual boot to like Windows 2000/ME/XP(only one as drivers may be hard to find). If the ssd doesn't play nice in the Compaq I have a iBook G4 12" 1ghz which may use it. And I'll take the 30gb hdd from the iBook to use in the Compaq. So what else needs to be done to make it work fantastic and for a long time? I know about the defrag which is not auto on my system.

And please no comments on it can't use the ssd to its full potential. I know. But it will be a improvement and save battery. My battery lasts a couple hours but maybe I can aim for 3! So let me know how I can do this. Looking forward to it. Cause I want to play old games like doom, duke nukem and many more.

I have the iBook G4, a Windows XP desktop, Windows Visa desktop and a Windows 7 dekstop. If any of them will work better for cloning the hdd I'll hook them up and find whatever software I need. I do have a USB to ide/sata converter for this I bought long ago for a ssd project in a Compaq LTE 5280. I scraped that after I sold it. Had LCD problems and lots of others. Was too much to fix.

Willing to take all advice on this. Let me know. I'm excited to have it boot super fast! Although now isn't too bad. As I'm used to slow, old, poor sound and low res graphics. The plight of someone into vintage items. I'll get a few pictures later when I can bring it up with my new ram. Should be Thursday, Friday at latest.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Win98

Win98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

So change of plans slightly. As it turns out my Windows 98 install crapped its pants when I tried turning virtual memory off and started having massive problems(as in blue screens everywhere and rebooting after having just booted up!). I have now copied my hdd onto a USB drive through my iBook and USB ide adaptor. I then formatted my 4gb hdd with 1gb partition for a Linux I want to try and a 3gb partition for Windows 98. I'm now reinstalling Windows 98 onto the drive. This sucks. Since I can't change that I will use the ssd in my iBook and change the 30gb from the iBook into the Compaq wih maybe a few partitions for other stuff. Really sucks. At least it's easy to find Windows 98 stuff online. And also my Compaq drivers I'll need later. And also it asked for a boot disk during the install. I tried using the old one I made using a win98 update but it didn't take it. I used a magnet hoping it would then go. It froze the install. Well got a new disk like I should. Hoping it goes smooth now. Guess I shouldn't take anymore shortcuts.

#3 Win98

Win98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

As for the boot disk it makes one during the Windows install if you want. I made one earlier and tried using it. The installer didn't like it since it already had those files. I tried using a magnet as a quick "format" thinking the computer would go ahead then. Nope. I tried reading it on my iBook and it couldn't even bring it up! I got a new disk and formatted it on the iBook as fat12? It's the Mac's ms dos format. The installer seems to take it now. I'll need to mess with my "formatted" disk to get it back in service now.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:00 AM

Hi, Win98.

This may sound like a really daft question..... From the tone of your posts so far you appear fairly competent with this stuff, but, er.....you did purchase a PATA/IDE solid state drive, yes? I assume you did, since from the sound of things you did at least start the 'cloning' or whatever it was you attempted...

I've got a 14-yr old Dell Inspiron 1100 which, until very recently, was running XP. The Celeron was swapped for a genuine P4...a 2.6. The original 128 MB of RAM was upgraded to the 'official' maximum of 1 GB.....then further to the chipset's theoretical 'max' of 2 GB (which many insisted wouldn't work; but the 'proof of the pudding' is in the eating.....it runs quite happily!) I replaced the original weedy 20 GB HDD with a 64 GB Transcend PATA/IDE SSD, did a complete re-install, and.....it ran beautifully! Much faster boot times, and general performance was vastly improved. I was simply going to suggest that it might be easier to re-install from scratch, that's all.....since 'cloning' of any kind was always next to impossible on older versions of Windows.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 October 2016 - 06:03 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#5 Win98

Win98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:52 AM

Hi, Win98.

This may sound like a really daft question..... From the tone of your posts so far you appear fairly competent with this stuff, but, er.....you did purchase a PATA/IDE solid state drive, yes? I assume you did, since from the sound of things you did at least start the 'cloning' or whatever it was you attempted...

I've got a 14-yr old Dell Inspiron 1100 which, until very recently, was running XP. The Celeron was swapped for a genuine P4...a 2.6. The original 128 MB of RAM was upgraded to the 'official' maximum of 1 GB.....then further to the chipset's theoretical 'max' of 2 GB (which many insisted wouldn't work; but the 'proof of the pudding' is in the eating.....it runs quite happily!) I replaced the original weedy 20 GB HDD with a 64 GB Transcend PATA/IDE SSD, did a complete re-install, and.....it ran beautifully! Much faster boot times, and general performance was vastly improved. I was simply going to suggest that it might be easier to re-install from scratch, that's all.....since 'cloning' of any kind was always next to impossible on older versions of Windows.

Mike.  :wink:

To an extent I know what I'm doing. I can fuss with basic hardware and some minimal software if I have a guide or know what to do first. Software's not my area of expertise as I proved on this project. Windows 98 went out with a massive frustration to me. Blue screens everywhere and no response. I think it had something to do with me turning off the virtual memory. I turned it back on after reboot since it was so slow and could not respond(for the ssd I needed to turn it off. So I tried to see how it handled it. Quite badly). That sucks. I tried reinstalling Windows 98 se from scratch but I can't get the Compaq drivers to go. Before I could have the screen at 800-600 now it's 600-480. And half the drivers won't run. And since I don't know software I can't get it to go. Then I decided to try a version of Linux on it. Out of 50 or so attempts at that no go. The only version which could boot was DSL 4something. But there was no install and it's super limited.

So here's where my ssd went. And it was a pata/die one. I put the ssd into my iBook G4 12". Really not a hard task. Two hours and I was done. Quite easy I would say. That is where most of my expertise is. Hardware. I can open and replace parts better then I can find where drivers are stored in a hdd directory. I literally don't know where drivers are stored on a hdd. So I did that. Still have the old 30gb hdd from the iBook put up. In case I needed to go back to Mac OS 10.5.8 for any reason. I installed Mint PPC onto the ssd after trying Debian PPC. There are some issues with Mint PPC I hate and can't stand. Mostly spelling/grammar errors and mislabeled ssd hardware names. Yea I know. It's stupid.

I haven't tried the Linux or Windows 98 on the Compaq for a month or so. It is so fussy I can't believe it. I did try Windows 98 and Linux on a old pentium 4 tower onto a 40gb drive I had around. Didn't go. Get a disk io error. Have to manually hold escape and select the cd rom. It won't boot from the hdd to finish my Windows 98 install. And I can no longer get into my bios setting. It was a Windows XP machine. The original 80gb is still there just disconnected. Won't boot into XP as well. Thankfully I don't need anything off it right now. And that I have other methods for that as well.

As you can see. Software is my downfall. I can't do it to safe my life! I can open devices, replace parts without damage or very minimal and such but can't get software to even pretend to play nice. It's a flat out bully to me! So that's pretty much how this failure of a project went. A good working computer that I managed to get a Windows XP wireless pcmcia card to work on then it goes out the window and I can't get it working right even with a fresh install. A desktop tower that doesn't work right anymore(well not like it did before. Took 30 minutes after boot to become responsive enough to use. Viruses man, they suck). I have a cd drive from a different computer sticking out the side because because the original cd and DVD drive don't work with the windows 98 disk. And a iBook wih a ssd in it that works but have glitches which are irritating. The battery indicator is slow, inaccurate and say "battery is charged" when I'm charging. I really hate software. Only one I hate more is Windows 10!

So any help is nice. But I don't plan on managing to get it working right any time soon. Maybe I try again. Next year when I can forget how annoying this has been and attempt again only to fail. Many, many times. I think I'll stick to my vintage vacuum tubes. And 400v supply's. At least they play nice. Like my Zenith 12HO90 (was my great grandmas!) which I restored and rebuilt the motor for the turntable. But I can even get some drivers to work. Figures.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Hi again, Win98.

Mm. This is only a suggestion, but you might try Puppy Linux on there. It's a small, lightweight Linux distro that only occupies around 200-250 MB on your hard drive. And the whole thing loads into, and runs from, RAM. Which makes it super fast, even on older hardware, since RAM is the fastest part of any machine. That's what I've been running exclusively on the old Dell (and my 'big' Compaq Presario PC) for the last couple of years.

I'm like you, to a certain extent; more hardware-oriented than the software.....but I'm slowly learning. To the point where I now package Chrome (and another browser called SlimJet) into the .pet and SFS package formats that Puppy uses. They seem to be quite popular, for some reason... :lol:

And Linux, while not invulnerable (witness the 'HeartBleed' & 'ShellShock' episodes a year or two back), doesn't need to run AV at all. Just a simple firewall will do the trick.....and all Linux distros have those built-in as standard.

Worth considering? Here's a demonstration of the desktop of one of my favourite 'Pups', Precise 5.7.1:-

a7flVed.png

The artwork's all my own; graphic design has always been a great hobby of mine. Just shows how good even a 'lightweight' Linux distro can look.....

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 October 2016 - 05:24 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users