Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Comes Bearing A Small Gift

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tik2roo

tik2roo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Clever spell checker on the web: Begin a new email in Gmail and detach the new message to a new window. When you've written something elsewhere (um, on Bleeping Computer, perhaps?), just copy and paste the text to the Gmail window, run the spell check, correct mistakes (if any), then paste the corrected text anywhere you desire.

I love Gmail's spellchecker. Actually, I love Google. :thumbsup: It's kind of embarrassing how much I love Google.

I don't know what else to say about myself, really. Not new to computers or the Internet. I'm not really a computer Ninja or anything, but I get by. My Linux-Foo is very weak and I'm trying to change that. Open Source is the best thing since sliced bread.

I use multiple browsers and I pimp for Flock and Maxthon sometimes. At the end of the day, however, I always come home to Firefox. (I keep the icky MSIE on my computer for dire emergencies when Maxthon doesn't work on a Trident site.)

I have no idea what else to say here. :flowers:

That's it!

Edited by tik2roo, 18 August 2006 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Fortunately, BC does have a spell-checker for those who need it, but your tip certainly could be useful to many members who visit other boards. There is also the option of copying a text to your word processor (either MS or OO.o) running a spellcheck, and then pasting it back to the forum.
My browser of choice continues to be Ff, and I also have Opera installed. Since IE is needed for certain MS sites, and is part of the Windows OS, I simply patch it every month. Have you tried the Google speadsheet beta?
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tik2roo

tik2roo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

Fortunately, BC does have a spell-checker for those who need it, but your tip certainly could be useful to many members who visit other boards. There is also the option of copying a text to your word processor (either MS or OO.o) running a spellcheck, and then pasting it back to the forum.

Hope I didn't offend with that one. I'm sure the BC spell check is great. :thumbsup:

I like using the Gmail for spell check better than MS or OO because of size - it's a lot of program running all at once.

My browser of choice continues to be Ff, and I also have Opera installed. Since IE is needed for certain MS sites, and is part of the Windows OS, I simply patch it every month. Have you tried the Google speadsheet beta?

I have Opera installed as well, but I find I don't use it as much as Flock or Maxthon. Flock is task specific and Maxthon is a good replacement for IE. Some sites that require IE will run just fine with Maxthon (RoadRunner for example.)

I love the Spreadsheets! They aren't the fanciest things around, but they do the trick, don't they? As long as the database doesn't have to be secure, they are great for sharing.

I'm crazy about Writely too.

Welcome to BC!

Thanks for the nice welcome, John. I'm going to wend my way into the other forums this evening and ask a couple of questions.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

Please ask away. Our members have a varied and wide range of interests and areas of computer expertise, and are more than willing to help others with questions and problems.
I too, share your admiration for Google, which has almost single-handedly changed---mostly for the better---internet usage, and continues to challenge the other contenders to innovate and improve their services.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hey tik2roo, welcome to Bleeping Computer :D
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users