Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Micro Internet Security false positives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrk2474

mrk2474

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

I've been using a site for a few years and everything has been fine. All the sudden a few weeks ago it's started getting flagged as a bad site. Odd thing is it only happens every once in a while. I've also whitelisted it and it still gets flagged. I've even checked the "Site Safety Center." It says it's safe. What gives?? Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

There are number of web resources (URL Link Scanners) which can be used to check suspicious/unfamiliar sites or get second opinions.-- Use several different vendors when performing queries to confirm the results of page content. Even doing this, you still need to be cautions of other links on the page itself which can redirect to a malicious page.

Also see:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mrk2474

mrk2474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

That's what makes no sense. It gets flagged by the actual program but when you look it up using their info they say it's fine. Contradictory much? :mellow:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Further, for the novice user, rating sites can provide a a false sense of security.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users