Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Great Linux Documentary's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

This is probably a rhetorical posting since this area seems to be most frequented by people whom are already Linux enthusiasts, but I wanted to share anyway just in case any other newbies stumbled in to this section of BC.

While camping over the weekend, I broke one of my usually self-imposed rules... I brought my netbook with me. And I took some time to watch two documentary's about Linux and some of its history. While The Code (2001) and Revolution OS (2001) are somewhat older films, they were totally awesome! Conception, origin, history, challenges, the inevitable spread around the world -- it's all there and more.

There are obviously plenty of great talks, presentations, etc., on YouTube, TED, and elsewhere for those that prefer more concise topics. But if you can spare a few minutes for each documentary I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you have any interest in Linux.

(Hey, if any of you Linux guru's know of any similar films, please share the titles!)

Reference:

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

Hi Jeremy

Have yet to digest the links and follow up, but can tell you that in earlier series of "The Big Bang Theory", some of the laptops (Sheldon's and others) I spotted as having the familiar purpley-brown of an Ubuntu Unity desktop.

Keep rockin' with Linux :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW here's a link to a Topic posted a little over a year ago by good friend pcpunk

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585508/mr-robot-usa-series/

#3 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

Have yet to digest the links and follow up, but can tell you that in earlier series of "The Big Bang Theory", some of the laptops (Sheldon's and others) I spotted as having the familiar purpley-brown of an Ubuntu Unity desktop.

BAZINGA!

BTW here's a link to a Topic posted a little over a year ago by good friend pcpunk

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585508/mr-robot-usa-series/

I'm all over it... Just waiting a few more days (Sept. 21st, maybe?) for the second season to finish up. Wifey and I like to binge-watch good shows, so we have to wait just a few more days. But believe me, it's been on the list for a few months now.

Cheers, mate!

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users