Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Boot When Graphics Card Installed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brumi

Brumi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

Came here from this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522828/gpu-wont-work-in-my-system-works-in-friends-his-gpu-works-in-my-system-confus/

My problem is similar to the previous two posters: my computer does not boot at all (no POST beep, no signal to monitor) when my graphics card is inserted, but it does boot without it using the integrated graphics.

Here are the things I have checked:

• The video card works, tried it in two of my friends' computers.
  • The PCI-Express slot of my motherboard works, tried plugging in two different graphics cards into my motherboard and they both worked. And of course the integrated graphics also works.
  • It is not my PSU that is faulty. Got an alternative PSU from a friend, tried powering my computer from that one, the symptoms are exactly the same: boots without the video card, doesn't boot with it.
  • Did the above with all my SATA devices completely disconnected (both from the PSU and the SATA cable), boots without video card (at least there is something on the screen: it says that no boot device was found), doesn't boot with it. So it cannot be a software problem.
  • Successfully booted my computer with both of my memory modules separately, of course without the video card.
  • Tried resetting the CMOS, didn't work either.

My specs:

• Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E51
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
  • BIOS version: 2.2
  • Integrated graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4200
  • Video card: Gigabyte GV-N960IXOC-2GD (GTX 960)
  • Power supply: Enermax MaxPro 400W
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3

It is important to note that my video card is still under its warranty period; haven't tried giving it back to the retailer yet because the issue is only present with my own computer. I'll try giving it back as a last resort when I give up trying to find the exact fault.

I only have one theory at the moment: the video card has a PCIe 3.0 interface while my motherboard only has PCIe 1.0. Is it possible that the video card stopped working with the old PCIe slot for some reason? Both my friends' computers in which I tried my GPU had newer motherboards (PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 respecively), and both video cards I received from my friend have PCIe 2.0. So currently I suspect that either my motherboard cannot work with a 3.0 GPU or my GPU doesn't work with my 1.0 motherboard. Is this even plausible?

Hopefully I will be able to try another friend's GTX 960 in my computer next week or so.

This issue has been going on for about a month, I'm planning on buying a new motherboard and CPU anyway, I'd just like to sort this out. My GPU is still under warranty after all, I don't want to waste an opportunity if it is indeed faulty.

Any ideas welcome, thanks in advance :)

Edited by Brumi, 06 September 2016 - 06:04 PM.
split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/622939/hardware-situation-split-from-httpwwwbleepingcomputercomforumst522828gpu-wont-work-in-my-s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

According to the MB specs the PCIe X 16 slot is V2. 

• 1 PCI Express x16 slot (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant) 
• 1 PCI Express x1 slot
• 2 PCI slots, support 3.3V/ 5V PCI bus Interface.

I don't see your BIOS version, only 2.5 and 2.7 with 5 version after 2.7. Flashing a BIOS can brick a computer if things go wrong as you know.

See page 3-10 and 3-11 of your manual. Changing the OnChip VGA settings may do something.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 September 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#3 Brumi

Brumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

Well, my bad, misunderstood that for some reason...

So if it is indeed some PCIe compatibility issue (however unlikely that could be), it shouldn't be the video card, as I have seen it working in a 2.0 motherboard.

Still, it'd be nice to know how this situation can even happen.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

I added some items to my post. Your BIOS looks like an earlier version and you have onchipVGA settings in BIOS. Other than that I am not sure what the issue is. 

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

If the BIOS version is 2.2 then its very old from 2009! the latest available is 2.C from 2011-02-18

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Brumi

Brumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

Regarding the on chip VGA settings: the primary graphics adapter is PCIe. The other options are PCI and Internal; if I set it to Internal, the computer won't even try to boot using the video card, it boots using the internal graphics. So I believe PCIe should be the correct option here.

Haven't tried tampering with the memory sharing options yet (only set the shared memory to the maximum while I was actually using the integrated graphics). The only thing I know that the computer used to work with this video card, it just suddenly didn't boot one day. I doubt that wrong BIOS settings could cause that.

Is is plausible that a newer BIOS may resolve the problem? Because I'm quite reluctant to flash my BIOS (afraid of bricking my computer), and as I already said, the system used to work with this video card and BIOS version.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

If the card worked with the current BIOS I doubt updating would help. Did you get a chance to try out your friends GTX 960 card? 

If I can remember correctly a poster had a similar problem and it turned out to either be the card was not fully seated because of case interference but because your card worked previously I doubt this is your problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#8 Brumi

Brumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:10 AM

I'll probably have the chance to try my friend's GTX 960 next week.

The only issue I've had with my current setup is that my current motherboard has poor interference protection, so whenever my graphics card was active, I could hear static noise from my headphones if they were plugged into the front jack.

#9 Brumi

Brumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

Finally managed to try my friend's GTX 960 (different model than mine, though) in my computer.

It didn't boot with that video card either, so I'm quite certain now that it's my motherboard that is faulty, despite the fact that I'm using the computer right now with one of the video cards I borrowed from my other friend... (it is a GTX 460)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

Finally managed to try my friend's GTX 960 (different model than mine, though) in my computer.

It didn't boot with that video card either, so I'm quite certain now that it's my motherboard that is faulty, despite the fact that I'm using the computer right now with one of the video cards I borrowed from my other friend... (it is a GTX 460)

That's strange as the recommend PSU for the 460 is 450 watts vs 400 watts for the 960. Also the amperage requirement is more.

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users