Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cable modem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bobob

bobob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

1. Is it enought for cable modem to be connected thro coaxial cable to provide internet for iphone?

2. Do cable modem can be connected to any socket or it must be specific? (i.e. socket must have cable wire who is dedicated for TV)

I basically want to know the things about cable modem. Because the internet was moved on in my house. Now it seems someone misuse it. Even if I have router and set up security, but perhaps somebody cheating via cable modem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

1. Not sure what you mean; Are you asking is cable broadband fast enough for Iphone? Yes. Are you asking if you only need a modem to get the Iphone online? No, you would also need a wireless router, or a modem that has wireless included, AKA a wireless gateway. Iphone doesn't have a ethernet jack so it can only get online wireless(short of buying a special adapter).

2. It "might" work in any socket. It depends on how the sockets are wired in your house. Older houses have what is called "daisy chained" while newer houses are "home run". With "home run" each outlet has it's own cable wire going back to box on the side of the house. A daisy chained outlet is split, one going to that outlet, and the other wire going to the next outlet, which is split, and so on. See here for more info.The only way to know for sure is to hook up the modem and see what signal levels you get. You can check them using the modem's diagnostics at 192.168.100.1 but that may depend on the model.

3. "but perhaps somebody cheating via cable modem." As long as you have your own modem, and no one else is physically connected to it, I doubt it. Some one would of had to learn your modem's MAC address (get into your house) and then hack their own modem (something still pretty hard to do) and clone the MAC address to their. Then they would have to figure out some way to fool all the systems in place by ISP to stop this. Those systems aren't so much there to protect you (although they do) but to stop people from stealing internet service from the ISP.

Edited by Trikein, 06 September 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#3 bobob

bobob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

I have a router, and cable wire from anthena( anthena on the roof), goes to my room.

A internet thief lives inside house, he is to that place, where internet was installed previously.

If I unplug cable wire. Thief becomes moist and mad. (begins bashing floor and socket)

Thief pretty often gets locked inside room. Usually then returns to home. I have heard enought sounds, its obvious that thief connects some kind of device to provide internet for iphone.

Worth to mention, that room has TV, satellite modem (provides television). It can be somehow related to this.

Edited by bobob, 06 September 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

I think we are having difficulty communicating. If the cable from the modem goes to a antenna, you do not have cable broadband. Cable broadband uses a signal on the lines on the poles out on the street. Who is your ISP or what model is your modem? Have you called and asked your ISP about it?

#5 bobob

bobob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

My router is TP LINK. I have a router, not modem.

Cable modem is not neccesary for internet, thief uses it secretly to make second connection to provide internet for iphone.

Im not really to ask ISP about it, because im not in position and dont know how to ask.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

I don't think you know how to ask here either to be honest. Atleast the ISP knows what equipment you have and the type of internet. A router can't work without something providing it internet. TP-Link is a brand, not a model. There are 1000's of TP-Link routers, which one do you have? Who do you buy internet from?

#7 bobob

bobob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

Firmware version: 3.9.7 Build 090821 Rel.58159n

hardware version:  WR841N v5 00000000

ISP: balticum

WAN wire goes to my room.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. :thumbup2: The WR841N is a stand alone router, not a gateway or anything with a modem inside. That means the ethernet from the WAN port on the router must lead to the modem. You say it goes into your room, but into what? A wall Ethernet outlet? Another device? Could you physically fallow it and find out?

Also which wire are you unplugging when the other person gets mad? The wire that goes from antenna to modem? Or the one that goes from your room into the router?

Last, Balticum offers both cable modem internet and wireless internet. Do you have wireless internet? I ask because you mention you have a "modem" but then you say you use a antenna, which makes me think wireless.

::Edit:: Looking at he big picture, your neibor is probably using your wifi. Do you have your wireless router secure with a password? If not, I suggest locking it down but be warned, that will REALLY get him mad.  :devil:

Edited by Trikein, 06 September 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#9 bobob

bobob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:12 PM

My router supports wireless devices. The phones, laptops can use wireless connection.

In my router settings, I have:

Set up wifi password.

Disabled dhcp.

Access control policy.

Only laptop or stationary computer can connect, because static IP is required, and limited range. For thief, my router is neccecary, because im sure, thief uses cable modem or something... Here I made a video, that shows some detail.

Edited by bobob, 06 September 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

Interesting. I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out if not for the video. Thank you!

The black box at 7seconds is a Ubiquiti Power Over Ethernet(POE) injector as seen here. I can't find any documentation but I am guessing your ISP is using something like Nanostation 5 as seen here. The Nanostation has 2 ethernet inputs. One is used to provide internet AND power while the other one is just internet. By disconnecting the middle power plug at 24seconds, you are turning off the power(electricity) to the Wifi antenna (AP) on the roof.  That turns off his internet too. Here is a blog of  a similar setup.

Who set up the Wifi antenna and the wiring outside? If it was setup by the ISP, I would suggest calling them and asking them if your neighbor has the right to be using it. Maybe the ISP installs one antenna for each building and sets up rules to share the bandwidth between you two. If your neighbor pays the ISP(or landlord) then he has a right to get mad. If not, then you have a right to be mad that he is stealing. If the wiring was done by the landlord, then I would suggest asking him if two tenants are supposed to be sharing the antenna. 

Last, you look pretty close to other houses. No matter what, you may want to call the ISP and ask if you can switch from Wifi to cable modem, or even fiber. Not only would it fix your neighbor problem but it would probably be a faster/better connection. It may not be available in your area, but it's worth asking about.

Edited by Trikein, 06 September 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

who is paying for this internet service?

it does not appear in the video that there is a wired connection from the router to the other room this other person is in.  Is this correct?

If you are not using the routers wifi then disable it in the router.

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

FYI Wand3r3r I think OP's ISP is some kind of wireless mesh like seen here. The "antenna" is actually a wireless AP which is powered by POE running over the ethernet going from his apartment to the roof. I am guessing that AP has a secondary ethernet port that is running to neighbor's apartment. The question that needs to be answered is if that is legit or not. 

Edited by Trikein, 06 September 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#13 bobob

bobob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

Anthena with that wire was set up by ISP workers.

At first, that wire was not existed. Because I had this modem:

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/1/1a/Connect-a-Cable-Modem-to-Your-Computer-Step-1.jpg/aid4771635-728px-Connect-a-Cable-Modem-to-Your-Computer-Step-1.jpg

( dont know version of this modem)

It delivered internet for stationary PC. Perhaps it could support more devices, but it was used only for PC.

This room, (now thief room) was a location where modem (picture above) was placed.

The video I show yesterday (with a wire from the roof), Was "updated" internet place by ISP.

Because if I remember correct:

First it was cable internet.

After that, they made wireless internet.

Edited by bobob, 07 September 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#14 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

So your ISP switched you from Cable broadband to wireless. Did they install a wire to your neighbors apartment?

I would suggest asking the ISP to come out and take a look at the situation. If you two are paying to share internet and don't want to, I suggest switching back to the cable modem you had before. If you two should NOT be sharing it, then the ISP needs to come up with a way where your neighbor can't steal it. This isn't something the forum will be able to solve.

BTW, the modem was RCA DCM425 or similar.

Edited by Trikein, 07 September 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#15 bobob

bobob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

So your ISP switched you from Cable broadband to wireless. Did they install a wire to your neighbors apartment?

I would suggest asking the ISP to come out and take a look at the situation. If you two are paying to share internet and don't want to, I suggest switching back to the cable modem you had before. If you two should NOT be sharing it, then the ISP needs to come up with a way where your neighbor can't steal it. This isn't something the forum will be able to solve.

BTW, the modem was RCA DCM425 or similar.

My house isnt connect to eighbors house.

Nor bill sharing.

It is standalone house.

That room, is nearby my room, it is a person who jodging internet.

Is there any way to delete that "blind AP" or what called it is?

Because I dont know if socket can have 2 cable wires? Because that socket provides electric power+TV+ another internet spot.

Edited by bobob, 07 September 2016 - 09:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users