Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Micro ATX site builds for Z170- performance but NON gaming desktops.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redone

redone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

Hi,

Recently lost my high end, custom built PC (2014 build) to a power surge. It was connected to the mains power via a power board with surge protection but that failed and my system is an insurance write-off. 'Stuff' happens!

The brood has fled the nest and the house is really too big for just two of us, we are considering downgrading anyway and a smaller form factor desktop would suit that need.

I study/ research human motion/ human mechanics hence have the need for good performance and high definition. However I'm not a 'gamer', never have been,  so I have no use for a higher end  gaming computer.  If I do need to use a (say) gaming motherboard to achieve a purpose, that's fine. I have spent several days searching the net for sites in search of advice but could not find any sites dedicated to building non-gaming PCs. I'm sure there are many other users/ builders who would appreciate such a source of information.

My previous build was in a Fractal Define R4 case and I could not hear any sound from it, even in mid-summer on the Sunshine Coast, Australia with my ear 2 feet or less from it.  I would like to step down to another Fractal case in micro ATX footprint, the Fractal Node 804 is a distinct possibility. If I could achieve what I want in performance and cool, quiet computing I would consider going down another size into mini ATX. I do like the concept of 'cube' cases. 

Budget is not a problem as the previous (now blown) PC was heavily insured.

MOTHERBOARD.. Either in Micro ATX or Mini ATX  and in the Skylark  Z170 chip platform with WiFi and Bluetooth (I hate cords). The Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 may be of interest?

CPU.. Probably Intel i5 6600

GPU.. I would prefer to go with the Integrated Graphics if they are HD 530 (or higher, if available). Whatever motherboard/ CPU requirements that will provide the HD 530 and the best available inbuilt audio. Saving on the dedicated GPU allows me to spend more on motherboard and CPU.

RAM.. 16GB DDR4 3200, 3400 high quality.

The rest of the components would be selected to support the needs of the above, at your discretion.

Thank You,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

Does your work require or prefer a dedicated graphics adapter? What is your budget?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 redone

redone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

BC Advisor

Thanks for your response.

Initially my work did require a dedicated graphics adapter because of (1)..  the need to identify and understand fine details and (2).. the state of the technology available at the time. Over the past couple years the acceleration in technology has been huge. As my own understanding of my subject work has increased so too has the advance in technology. From what I have been  reading it would seem to me that HD 530 integrated graphics is now equal to (or even superior to) what I was using and paid a lot of money for 3 or 4 years ago.  

What I need is a functional, reliable workhorse that can get the job done, I neither want nor need a thoroughbred show pony that looks pretty and can perform all manner of tricks and gimmicks that I will never require of it. I don't need a Ferrari GT to drive to the grocery store!
You have posed an interesting question.."does my work require or prefer a dedicated card". A lot of what I do involves the analysis of video involving humans in motion. I don't see that I have the same needs as (say) a serious gamer. I do need very clear images but I don't need the 'power' and speed required by the gamers. 

I do have a high end Samsung 27" monitor so a monitor is not part of the build.

A smaller form factor is definitely a part of the deal, so too is cool and quiet.

BUDGET.. I would like to set a ceiling of around $1200 USD to $1400 USD which would be in the region of (say) $2,000 AUD but that is highly negotiable. Obviously the less the better applies and unneeded overkill that serves no valid purpose is not an option.

Thanks again. 

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:33 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2VmVwV I changed the i5 for the i7 as the i7-6700 as it may multitask better and be more futureproof. As for the hdd you could optionally buy 2 of those and backup regularly. I do recommend some form of a backup.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users