Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy K

Sandy K

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

While working on the computer, I smelled a smell like wire burning. I had had the computer shutdown a few times before on its own and suspected a powersupply problem. I shut the computer off when I smelled that smell and changed out the power supply. While I had it off, I cleaned the keyboard with a spray onto a paper towel and wiped it off. I did take it apart to help clean it. When I got it back together and turned it on, it comes up only to the motherboard screen, ASus , and says press tab to show POST screen ; Press Alt f2 to enter AWD flash utility. I can press tab and it goes to another screen, that says Phoenix -AwardBios v6.00PG
ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
Processor AMD Athlon XP 3000+
memory testing : 1048576k OK

Press DEL to enter setup , ALTF2 to enter AWDFLASH
5/14/2003 nVidia-nForce-A7N8X2.oc-00
I cannot get it to do anything else. Even in the first screen, it will only take a tab. I'm pretty sure I hooked up al l the drives to the power supply. All the fans run. Was the battery dead when I disconnected the power supply? How do I get to the bios? Is the keyboard acting up? I guess I could Put another on. HELP!

Edited by Sandy K, 18 August 2006 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

The first thing to do is try another keyboard - one that plugs into the PS2 port if possible as USB drivers do not load with most mbs until Windows does.

The next thing to do would be to make sure all connections inside the computer are tight. Check to make sure the IDE ribbon cables haven't come loose, especially on the motherboard end.

#3 Sandy K

Sandy K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

went back in and rechecked connections all seem okay. Hooked up different keyboard, same thing. Even if the battery was bad, shouldn't I be able to get into the bios? If the cpu went bad, would that do this? Maybe I should haul it to a repair shop.
this was a custom built computer, put together at the Dayton computer fest in 03. I could put a new cpu in if I knew that was the problem. Would a bad cable from the drives do this? Maybe when I got in there and changed the power supply, one of the cables went bad from bending it or moving it out of the way. I might have another one. I have like 4 older computers I don't use.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Well, smelling a burning smell coming from a computer is not good.
It could be anything from the power supply to the motherboard to the processor or any combination or all of them.

Yes, moving the cables can cause problems too.

Look closely at the capacitors on the motherboard.
Do any seem misformed or leaking?

#5 Sandy K

Sandy K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

No, all the caps seem to be okay, no burn marks of any kind on the Motherboard either. Think I'll start unplugging parts and restarting to see it it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users