Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a new computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lizardclone

lizardclone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

Laptop or Desktop?

Desktop

My budget for the new computer is:

About  $1,000 since this will be a performance machine-that's including like the monitor, mouse/keyboard, speakers and a printer.  I could go a little higher, but not too much.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

A lot of graphic/web design work, (hobbyist to potential professional), some film editing and animation,   web browsing, office type work (Word, Excel) so a lot of typical day to day use as well

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

I'm planning on getting the Corel Draw Graphics Suite, Painter, Moho studio animation, (formally Anime Studio) Blender or Poser, Some sort of video editing software (Sony Vegas or something NOT part of Adobe's Creative cloud) A sound recording software.  Basic music compositon software (Magix)

Some sort of Word processor software, and spreadsheet. 

(I'm trying to stay away from subscription services as long as I possibly can.)

And probably other ones I can't think of right now.  Maybe Rosetta Stone

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

No, I don't play online games.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Normally, I have one program open at a time. 

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yes, but with off computer back ups.

Will you be overclocking?

No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Don't know.  Possibly newegg.com  Or straight from the manufacturer.  Best Buy or Amazon might be an option.

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Just one

Do you need peripherals? OS?

A wacom tablet, speakers, microphone (I've got a cheap logitech that I use so it doesn't have to be professional.)  Printer/scanner/copier   I aslo use digital camera and a digital camcorder.  Again its not professional level stuff-just what I could afford from Best Buy.

As for the OS, I'd like to keep it PC.  My backups and files were created using one so I'd like to keep everything compatable as possible.  Plus I won't be the only one using it, and since the others need a PC that's what I'd like to keep it as.

I know people (two who work with computers) who say Windows 10 is basically usable in any form, a few others say its fine,  Plenty have told me to stay away from Windows 8.  Most people liked Windows 7, but that leaves me worried as its probably going to get its serviced stopped sooner than later. 

Honest opinions on Windows 10 would be helpful.  I just need something that works.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

My Vista computer is not powerful enough to run some of the programs I want properly.  Certain newer programs will no longer recognize it.  Its no longer getting service and its starting to crash/ freeze up more and more.  I

If I can think of any other information, or if you have any questions, I post again.

Edited by lizardclone, 06 September 2016 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

What's your current computer? Are you using that software on your old computer also. Just to give some light where are you going right now.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:39 AM

Why not build one?

In any case it will be good to do so as you can control what you pop in.

You will need the money for the software so lets rule out graphics cards as they are not needed for a non gaming set up.

are you doing 4k videos?

Also is vegas really needed? there are lots of free video editors for windows 

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 September 2016 - 01:41 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users