Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partial lag: windows actions vs internet actions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

New computer just built:

Motherboard:   ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU        Intel Core i3-4160 Haswell Dual-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1150 54W BX80646I34160 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400

Solid state hard drive  OCZ TRION 150 2.5" 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) TRN150-25SAT3-240G

RAM    HyperX Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX316C10FK2/8

Updated latest MB BIOS

Initially installed Win 7 from disc. - Key license accepted

Installed MB drivers compatible with Win7

Did not install updates as there was an issue, although Win7 tried

Free upgraded to Win10,  - 3 failures of Win10 upgrade assistant to download  (stuck at 99% for 12+hours) only after forcing computer to stop getting updates, and undoing firewall protection and typing after dos cmd " net stop wuauserv" to halt all updates that are running - then Win10 upgraded successfully.

Computer starts up fast,

accepts password,

goes to desktop fast,

Internet is very fast,

typing in google request goes smoothly

ISSUES

WIndows OS activities greatly lag

For example, on desktop, right click, select new folder.... folder appears &  "new folder" name is highlighted in blue, .. typing in new name takes over a minute to register.  UNLESS I right click on the desktop (off the folder) then my new name for the folder immediately shows up.

If I immediately request another new folder, sometimes only the blue highlighted "new folder" names shows up, but no icon, unless I wait or I right click off of it, onto the desktop.

If I open task manager, the text field takes quite a while to populate, in every tab. This is also true in task scheduler.  (However the more times I go to either of these, and revisit the tabs, the fields populate a little faster each time.

If I download a file ... say malware bytes, and do a save as another name, the name I type in does not show up for about 30 seconds. 

However, again, if I type in the google search field, the typing is rapid and smooth.  At this time I do not have office installed so I cannot comment on typing in a word document

I tried the following as suggested on the net:

When I go to task manager, with everything closed ( IE), memory is showing 19% - is that high? - with Cortana being 72mb

Any ideas? this really gets me.. perhaps a bad load of Win10?  Be nice to be able to rename a folder like usual... as well as other things..

Thanks

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Hi

Its best if you let Windows manage the paging file.

When I go to task manager, with everything closed ( IE), memory is showing 19% - is that high? - with Cortana being 72mb

19% is fine. That said, Vista and above should use a lot more memory for performance reasons (Basically, free RAM is wasted RAM. So starting from Vista, the OS caches as much as it can, and when memory is low, it can clear the cache to make space).

Could you turn Superfetch back on?: http://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

Thank you so much for responding, I see that superfetch is running...

At this moment, the computer has been left on all day, and I do not see any hesitation whatsoever - I will restart and check again now.

#4 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

Once I restarted the computer, the lag re-appeared.  When I typed a new name to a new folder on the desktop, the name would not appear without moving the cursor off the folder, &  right-clicking on the desktop, only then do I see the name I typed for the folder appear under the folder.

I just now again checked superfetch, it is running.

This is strange.

I understand the motherboard has an Integrated Graphics Processor - (Intel HD Graphics support), and the CPU has integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4400); is there possibly some interference between the two?  I don't know much about this.

On one of the restarts, the initial picture before my password showed a lot of discoloration in different clusters  - not sure how to describe it-

Thanks again,

Matt

Edited by mrmatt2, 06 September 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#5 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

It seems if the computer is left on overnight the problem goes away, but comes back when restarted, with again I have to wait.  I don't know if it is 4 hours or what, but 2x now, overnight and the problems goes away.

Yesterday I was reading of possible related issues, and someone mentioned refresh rate.. with nothing else to try I went for that. I could not find it, but after trying a number of things, with no luck, I switched to a different desktop background, the problem went away - until a computer restart. I could not replicate this.

Very strange.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

Strange indeed. I am suspecting some shell extensions being loaded up that is slowing down the right-click, but since you changed the background and it went away...not so sure what is going on. Lets take a look at the shell extensions anyways, using Autoruns:

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries (credits to Aura for the instructions):

• Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening if you agree, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible as a .arn (Autoruns) file;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or SendSpace (doesn't require an account) and post the download URL for it here;

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#7 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

thank you!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/t5gemq

& just to clarify, changing the background only helped once, I could not repeat that.

regards

Edited by mrmatt2, 09 September 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Hi

Sorry for the delay. I don't see anything wrong with the explorer startup. Can you boot into Clean Boot, and see if it resolves the problem?

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#9 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I did as instructed

As it started up again, to the intro picture screen, the screen again showed many pixels of the wrong color.

When this happens I get the message "Out of range signal, cannot display ...this video mode..(?) I think it said video mode but the screen disappeared, I did note that it recommended a screen size/resolution, but I could not get the number.

After waiting a while with this ( this has happened before) it corrects itself.

I assume it did not restart ( this computer restarts in a few seconds) as I did not hear a start-up noise.

With this clean boot start up, it runs fine.... I am able to name new folders easily.. which is my quick test. My wife found out that she cannot type when the problem occurs...

Hopefully, this can provide a lead into the root of the problem

Thanks

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

It provided a lead! There is likely a program that starts up and is making explorer slower. Go to Task Manager > Startup, and check mark only the essential programs (We might have to do trial and error to narrow it down to the program that is causing this)

Also, back in msconfig, enable all the services. Does the issue occur again?

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#11 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Fortunately there are only a few startups on this computer as it is new

Adobe Reader and Acrobat

aIChargerPlus Application ( from ASUS

Iusb3mon

Microsoft OneDrive

Realted HD Audio Manager

Windeos Defender notification

I will enable ( I think that is what you meant by check mark) Isub3mon, AiChargerPlus Applicaton and Realtek

I went to msconfig and will do normal startup (Load al device drivers and services

will let  you know....

#12 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

Now the computer is acting bad again,  - again cannot type to rename a new folder unless I right-click off of it on the desktop, then what I typed as the new folder name shows up... so weird.

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Could you temporarily disable ASUS AIChargerPlus. It may be conflicting with the Intel Iusb3mon. Then, restart your computer again and let me know if the problem is still occurring.

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#14 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

At first it seemed to work, although the appearance of the screen pixels were kinda messed up.

The monitor then became unstable, with a notice message saying the monitor should be set to 1600x1200 which it was. I turned the monitor off and back on and the screen came back. Although again, I cannot type in a newly created folder name box as usual. I have now enabled the ASUS to restart the computer, perhaps I should disabl ethe iusb3mon and try that?

Thanks for your efforts!

Matt

#15 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

OK, I have one more thng to add to this craziness..

I have 2 monitors hooked up... I am only showing on one computer

When I turn on the computer, as usual, I am not able to rename a folder..... my typing does not change anything...

UNLESS,

I extend the displays, so I can use both monitors, at this time, I am now able to make a new folder and readily rename it.

Then going back to display ONLY on the main monitor, I am still able to re-name a folder.

I think I will turn the computer off, unplug a monitor ( not the main) and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users