Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running CHKDSK and nothing is on the screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 superBlast

superBlast

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Right so I ran CHKDSK because of a repair program that meant to help me suggested I did before running it. And now during the process my monitor is apparently not receiving a signal as nothing appears on it and it looks just like it does when my comp is shut down. My comp is still running though... I can still hear it and neat light that can change colors is still on though doesn't mean anything other it is on. I have no idea if my computer is doing anything or not.

I did try to turn my computer off and on again and CHKDSK still decided to run and when it said press any cost before X seconds to cancel it nothing happened when I did and it ran anyways. So I'm on my phone right now and have no idea what to do now. Been spending all day trying to get my comp to connect to the damn internet.

I don't have any CDs or nothing with booting stuff as my comp was custom built as a gaming computer for me about 6 years ago or so. If you all need information about it to help me then I will give it to you. Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

I just realized I never asked what I wanted to ask. Is it normal for the monitor to display anything and for it to take hours?

Been searching and can't find an answer.

Edited by superBlast, 05 September 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:35 PM

It is not normal to see nothing on the screen when chkdsk is running. It should not take longer than a couple of hours unless there are serious errors on the disk. Running chkdsk on a bad disk can cause data loss. How long has chkdsk been running?

If you tap F8 during boot do you see the Advanced Boot Options?

#4 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

Uh... I think 4 or 5 hours now. And not sure if I seen the F8 thing. Think I should manualy turn off the comp and check? I rather not if I don't have to but have no idea if my comp is actually doing anything...

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I would not turn it off until you see no hard drive activity.

#6 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yeah... Well I can't tell either way. Just my comp is on and making a continuous fan sound but nothing else like it does when it is doing something... Sounds like the usual thing where it is working really hard like when playing computer resource intensive game.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

There is no hard drive led on the computer?

#8 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

Nope. Just a cosmetic light that tells me it is on or not... I can change its colors or just plain turn it off... But nothing else.

Well also a light in the back that flashes where my Ethernet cable is connected.

Edited by superBlast, 05 September 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

If the drive has been doing this for 5 hours I would wait three more hours then turn off the computer. When rebooting tap F8 for the advanced boot menu.

Boot to Safe Mode to see if you still get the computer starting a chkdsk do a hard shutdown. Hold the power button down until shutdown.

Reboot and under Advanced Boot Options select Repair Computer and do a System Restore to a date just before the problem. If you don't have a restore point then at the Advance Boot Options select Use Last Known Good Configuration. 

If the computer still starts chkdsk shut the computer down. Tap F8 at boot. Select Repair Computer and then command prompt. At the command prompt type

chkntfs /x c:

Reboot. The above command will stop auto chkdsk. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 09:14 PM.

#10 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

Alright, I'll tell ya what happens in three hours. Don't know why I didn't think to system restore in the first place to fix my initial problem that I had in the first place too. That tends to fix a lot of things for me.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

I won't be around in three hours but I will check in tomorrow. Good Luck.

#12 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:02 AM

Well... Heres my report. It's gotten worse. Waaaaaay worse. It does the same thing starting in safe mode and when trying to do a system restore. Also DSKCHK still does the same thing but even earlier in the process now.

My comp is now broke to me if I don't get some sort of help. My comp won't boot anymore it seems to me x.x

I can still access the F8 boot menu thing at least. So anything I can do from there?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

Did you use do chkntfs /x cat the command prompt? That should have stopped chkdsk from running.

I think at this point you need to first pull any important data off the computer and back it up to a external hard drive then check the disk for errors. Download UBCD. Burn the iso to disk and boot. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. Copy your files to an external using this guide.

After you have copied your files. Click Disk Health on the desktop of Parted Magic and run the short/long tests. Disk Health is GsmartControl.

What is the make and model of the computer?

#14 superBlast

superBlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

Before I do those I should probably answer your questions first.

First I didn't put in that chkntfs /x c: since my comp started to do the not giving my monitor a signal thing on trying to start in safe mode and when trying a system restore. And CHKDSK still went through when I wasn't paying attention and how I know the problem started even earlier in the CHKDSK process.

Also if you mean by make and model like Dell or HP then I don't have one. As I mentioned before my comp was custom built for me. It was by a family friend that knew quite a bit about computers though now we don't have any way to contact him anymore. Id be asking him for help if I could.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:00 PM

Okay, I see from the first post this is a custom build. Is there any data that needs to be backed up first?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users