Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random PC Restarts - Fresh Windows10 Install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kzisme

kzisme

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

Over the past two days my Desktop has been restarting randomly.  No BSOD or anything.  It started happening while I was playing League of Legends which made me assume it was a graphics issue,but I have no artifacting or issues currently with that. 

Originally it only happened when I alt-tabbed out of a game windows, but now it's doing it while just browsing using chrome.  

I noticed another post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537853/frequent-computer-crashes-no-bsod-screen-colours-broken/

I found the above post by searching for "The Service KMSELDI service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)." since that was the error from EventViewer right before the crash.  

I've done a clean install of windows 

and have included my MiniToolbox and Speccy snapshot here as well.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9lgew01gyk1s6b/KEVIN-PC.speccy?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhvtpugiks1xh4i/MTB.txt?dl=0

While typing this It has crashed maybe six more times.  

Any suggestions are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kzisme

kzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

I have created all the reports aside from the Performance Report since it seemed like it was just hanging.  

Here is the link to the reports:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zio80pb67rscviz/AAAZXKOfom3csw6E9rOrgcU9a?dl=0  (in zip format)

I couldn't figure out how to upload to the forms so I used Dropbox.  

I have read up on the EventID 41 and will continue to do so.  I've Also tried swapping out RAM sticks to try different channels which initially seemed to remedy the problem, but it soon returned.  

I'll begin logging temps now, but I don't think those are the issue personally since I have a fairly high end heat sink and have been monitoring them previously as well.  

EDIT: Logging on speedfan has been enabled.  I do have my case open now as well which may increase temperatures slightly.

Edited by kzisme, 06 September 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#4 kzisme

kzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

Temps never went above 20C over the course of the day and with one RAM stick inserted (as opposed to two) it didn't crash all day while idling 

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

Lot's of disk errors in the Admin logfile.

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive diagnostics, but please complete them all (and let us know the results).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FB) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

Beyond that, there's not much else in the reports.

Let's see what the hardware diagnostics have to say and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kzisme

kzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:07 PM

Beginning the tests now I will edit as they complete:

Test Option: QUICK TEST 
Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCATR7095359 
Firmware Number: 05.01D05 
Capacity: 1000.20 GB 
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: PASS 
Test Time: 21:49:50, September 08, 2016 

Test Option: QUICK TEST 
Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0 
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMATV4250480 
Firmware Number: 05.00K05 
Capacity: 1000.20 GB 
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: PASS 
Test Time: 21:54:35, September 08, 2016 

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WCATR7095359 Firmware Number: 05.01D05 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: PASS Test Time: 21:49:50, September 08, 2016

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WMATV4250480 Firmware Number: 05.00K05 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: PASS Test Time: 21:54:35, September 08, 2016

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WCATR7095359 Firmware Number: 05.01D05 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: PASS Test Time: 21:57:56, September 08, 2016

Running the longer tests now for the HDD's then I'll move onto memory if I have time tonight.  

Computer crashed once today mostly every event in the log was a warning about HDD's one in-particular stood out.

taskhostw (4788) WebCacheLocal: A request to write to the file "C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V01.log" at offset 126976 (0x000000000001f000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (18 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

The PSU is a 650W

I'll begin looking into how to upgrade my BIOS as I haven't done that before.

This is the PSU I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010HWDPKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (bought it probably a month and a half ago)

These are the HDDs I am using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284 

I have crashed/rebooted over 20 times tonight 

Errors are as follows: 

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.

Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
 and APPID 
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x4ae0020 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000002e) was retried.

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x51541a00 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\00000030) failed due to a hardware error.

The last one made me pull my Disk2, but right after I pulled it and loaded back into windows...it happened again and I got to the windows login 6 times but it kept rebooting or just flashing back to the beginning of the boot.

I was unable to complete any long HDD diagnostic tests due to all of the errors tonight.

Edited by kzisme, 08 September 2016 - 11:39 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

Physically disconnect all HDD's other than the boot/Windows drive.

Remove BOTH cables from the drives.

Then try to run the long test on the boot/Windows drive

If the test passes - then it's one of the other drives that is the problem

If the test fails, then you need a new boot/Windows drive

If the test won't run, then you probably need a new boot/Windows drive (and the only way to test that is to try a new drive).

#8 kzisme

kzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

So unplugged all drives aside from my SSD Boot Drive and ran the extended test and came back with this: 

http://imgur.com/a/DoyD4

"Too many bad sectors detected"

Would this be the culprit?

Just want to confirm before I purchase a new drive

Edited by kzisme, 10 September 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Maybe yes, maybe no.

HDD tests aren't always reliable on SSD's (but, unfortunately, there aren't any reliable SSD tests).

What did the Crystal Disk test say about the SSD?

#10 kzisme

kzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

Crystal Disk returned this: 

http://imgur.com/a/rV5NY

Seq Q32T1 READ: 457.9 WRITE: 304.8

4k Q32t1 READ: 130.8 WRITE 100.7

Seq READ: 412.5 WRITE 301.4

4k READ 24.06 WRITE: 59.93

Setting from the top are 5 - 1GiB and I only had one drive to select (C:/ boot drive basically) 

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:05 AM

Then it's your choice here.

The Crystal Disk says all is good, yet the W-D test said it was bad.

I'd suggest trying another drive (temporarily).

You can use an HDD and install a temporary (non-activated) copy of Windows on it.

If that works well, then you can presume it's the SSD

If it doesn't work well, then you presume it's something else

If you don't have a spare drive, you may be able to purchase one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

Good luck!

#12 kzisme

kzisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

Then it's your choice here.

The Crystal Disk says all is good, yet the W-D test said it was bad.

I'd suggest trying another drive (temporarily).

You can use an HDD and install a temporary (non-activated) copy of Windows on it.

If that works well, then you can presume it's the SSD

If it doesn't work well, then you presume it's something else

If you don't have a spare drive, you may be able to purchase one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

Good luck!

I didn't have another drive readily available, so I opted to test the PSU.

I attempted to test the hardware by booting into a linux live USB, and was unable to due to some memory errors (or errors that were said to be memory related).  

I then attempted to run memtest86+ on one stick at a time, but after about 3-5 minutes into each test the computer crashed for each stick.  

This then prompted me to swap out the power supply for the previous one, and it hasn't crashed yet while idling or running a memtest.  

I've gone ahead and started the RMA process for the PSU, so I hope this is the only issue.  Apparently power supplies can sometimes output unsteady amounts of wattage, and that could be the reason my system was acting up.  

I'm unsure if the SSD is still in good shape or had gone bad from the power spikes/drops, so I'll have to wait and see on that once I get the new PSU I'll update once I get the RMA back.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:55 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users