Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot server 2012 r2 GPT partition

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 elementalwindx

elementalwindx

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

I have a setup where for whatever reason it started an endless loop into a recovery partition instead of booting fully. I know the data in the windows folder is intact and it should boot but I can't figure out how to fix it to go to the proper place to boot.

The OS is on a GPT drive, so it's EFI. I'm not familiar with messing with the EFI to edit booting. I've fixed the boost manually using bcdedit on several windows 7/vista/xp machines before but no server machines yet.

Currently I've fubar'd it to the point to where now there are two boot loaders, one just takes you to a black screen and thats it, the other takes you to a screen with an 0x000000f error for file: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD saying info: the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.

How can I go about fixing this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi

Let's rebuild the BCD. For this to work, you need an install disk. From there, go to Command Prompt. The first thing we need to do is find the letter of the Windows partition. To do that, type notepad, and in Notepad, go to FileOpen, and try finding your WIndows drive (Note: It is not going to be X drive. X drive is the contents of the install disk in RAM). Once you have found it, run these commands (Replacing C: with the letter of your disk):

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 elementalwindx

elementalwindx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hi

Let's rebuild the BCD. For this to work, you need an install disk. From there, go to Command Prompt. The first thing we need to do is find the letter of the Windows partition. To do that, type notepad, and in Notepad, go to FileOpen, and try finding your WIndows drive (Note: It is not going to be X drive. X drive is the contents of the install disk in RAM). Once you have found it, run these commands (Replacing C: with the letter of your disk):

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

-CKing

I have tried this. I have to use diskpart to assign a letter to the system partition to unhide it, and I have to go into o:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd (I use O:\ as the letter to assign it to)

It will say it identified 0 windows installations and completed the operation successfully

But this does not fix my problem :(

#4 elementalwindx

elementalwindx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

I did what I found here: http://woshub.com/how-to-repair-uefi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

and now it's taking me to a black/white screen that says there is an error with 0xc0000098 ntoskrnl.exe

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

From the error code:

for hex 0xc0000098 / decimal -1073741672 :
  STATUS_FILE_INVALID                                           ntstatus.h   
The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid.

Hm... In Recovery Environment, mount the Windows drive, and go to Windows folder. Do you see ntoskrnl.exe? (Using File > Open, in notepad, and going there will not work as the file is marked as system file)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#6 elementalwindx

elementalwindx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

From the error code:

for hex 0xc0000098 / decimal -1073741672 :
  STATUS_FILE_INVALID                                           ntstatus.h   
The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid.

Hm... In Recovery Environment, mount the Windows drive, and go to Windows folder. Do you see ntoskrnl.exe? (Using File > Open, in notepad, and going there will not work as the file is marked as system file)

-CKing

Yes it is there. I even replaced it with a known working file from an exact same machine and got the same results. When I google it, it seems to have something to do with the bcd

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Lets run SFC to make sure if the file isn't corrupt:

In Recovery Environment, run this command:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
Replace c with the letter of your Windows drive, and let it run

If it gives an error let us know, and plug in a USB, and restart your computer into Recovery Environment. Open Command Prompt again, and use notepad File > Open, to find the letter of your flash drive. Then, close notepad and run this command:
bcdedit >e:\info.txt 2>&1
Replace e with the letter of your flash drive. On another computer, copy and paste the output of the info.txt on your USB, and the error given by SFC if it gives any

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 05 September 2016 - 08:24 PM.

Github | Keybase

#8 elementalwindx

elementalwindx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Lets run SFC to make sure if the file isn't corrupt:

In Recovery Environment, run this command:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
Replace c with the letter of your Windows drive, and let it run

If it gives an error let us know, and plug in a USB, and restart your computer into Recovery Environment. Open Command Prompt again, and use notepad File > Open, to find the letter of your flash drive. Then, close notepad and run this command:
bcdedit >e:\info.txt 2>&1
Replace e with the letter of your flash drive. On another computer, copy and paste the output of the info.txt on your USB, and the error given by SFC if it gives any

-CKing

When I type that command or even just sfc /scannow, I get "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. :(

I know I did it before a few hours ago and it did the scan and said it repaired some things. I actually ran it a few times.

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

Did you run the bcdedit command above? It will help distinguish if there is a separate System Reserved partition for booting

PS- Its night here, so I will continue tomorrow :)

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 05 September 2016 - 08:40 PM.

Github | Keybase

#10 elementalwindx

elementalwindx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:47 AM

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=O:
path                    \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-us
inherit                 {globalsettings}
bootshutdowndisabled    Yes
default                 {default}
resumeobject            {4155a1cc-7444-11e6-8b27-da20a652deec}
displayorder            {default}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {default}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description             Windows Server 2012 R2
locale                  en-us
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
isolatedcontext         Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {4155a1cc-7444-11e6-8b27-da20a652deec}
nx                      OptOut
detecthal               Yes

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

From that information, turns out that you have a separate boot partition with the letter that you set to O. Do that again, and change the SFC command to this:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=o:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

If, it gives an error this time, then lets manually check if ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or not

In Command Prompt, run this command, replacing e with the letter of your flash drive

dir /s /b ntoskrnl.exe >e:\file.txt

The above command will do a search for ntoskrnl.exe and store its results in file.txt on your flash drive. Copy and paste the contents of that.

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#12 elementalwindx

elementalwindx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

From that information, turns out that you have a separate boot partition with the letter that you set to O. Do that again, and change the SFC command to this:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=o:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

If, it gives an error this time, then lets manually check if ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or not

In Command Prompt, run this command, replacing e with the letter of your flash drive

dir /s /b ntoskrnl.exe >e:\file.txt

The above command will do a search for ntoskrnl.exe and store its results in file.txt on your flash drive. Copy and paste the contents of that.

-CKing

Might as well go ahead and close this. 2 days into trying to repair it and no luck. I've rebuilt it from scratch and taking the long and hard road of manually reinstalling everything *sigh*

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

In Bleeping Computer, topics are typically not closed :)

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users