Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 hits record high as slump sets in for other operating systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

WINDOWS 10 enjoyed a huge jump in use during August, despite no longer being offered as a free upgrade to existing users.

Microsoft's new operating system received its biggest update so far at the start of the month, and the result has been a jump to 22.99 per cent of the market (+1.86).

This month's figures will make happy reading in Redmond, as everything else went on a downward trajectory, save for the constant fly in the ointment, Windows 7, which went up to 47.25 (+0.25) as the naysayers bedded in.

Windows 8.1 rose marginally to 7.92 (+0.12), offset slightly by a larger drop for Windows 8 to 1.82 (-0.27), meaning that Windows 8.x is down to 9.74 (-0.15) overall.

The numbers do suggest, however, that Windows 8 holdouts have gone straight to Windows 10 rather than treading the slightly 'quirky' update path to Windows 8.1.

XP took its biggest beating in a while, dropping as near as dammit a full percentage point to 9.36 (-0.98), meaning that it is now less popular than Windows 8.x for the first time. Vista sits at 1.05 per cent (-0.17), its position as a footnote in history now 

Article

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 04:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

Although Windows 7 was fairly decent, I was glad to be rid of it.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

I still like Windows 7, absolutely abhorred Windows 8/8.1 even after I knew it well, and like Windows 10 which is an actual good marriage between the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

My primary complaint is the now-becoming-ubiquitous "flat look" GUI.  And everyone is doing it.  This is one area where I really wish that skins/themes were readily available that would allow me to have a 3D-look again.  This is all the more critical for some of my clients who are visually-impaired.  You have no idea of how many subtle cues there are in that dimensionality that simply disappear when all goes flat.  I am hoping that this will be an eventual change under Windows 10.

Other than that, I quite like it.  Contrary to the endless conspiracy theorists, if you do nothing more than configure your privacy settings to your liking (which includes turning off your advertising ID) and, possibly, disabling the PDA function of Cortana I see nothing much different "traffic-wise" in communication with Microsoft than I did in Windows 7.  There is truth to the statements that a great deal more data may be collected, but that's only if you use the default settings for everything.  No matter what a given maker sets as its default settings there is always someone (and that includes me) who will not like at least some of those choices.  Anyone using a computer in this day and age should know that when they change operating systems or have major OS upgrades installed that they need to revisit settings to customize them to their personal preference.

The odd thing is that you seldom hear about anything but Microsoft and Windows 10 these days, and I'd love to know what people would be saying if the same Microscope were being applied to Android, Chrome OS, iOS, and OSX.  Each and every one of these operating systems gathers information by default that I would really prefer were not being gathered and all of them allow me to tweak settings to get rid of most of it.  If I don't do that, well . . .    [P.S.  I do not include system health telemetry of any kind in the "would really prefer were not being gathered" category.   That's what drives fixes and improvements and can halt buggy patches in their tracks.  Look at how much more slowly the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is being rolled out now based on early issues detected.  I'd rather have late and "shaken out" than early/on-time and problematic.  The "old way" of shooting upgrades out and waiting for complaints to start rolling in to support is positively quaint.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

Look at how much more slowly the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is being rolled out now based on early issues detected.  I'd rather have late and "shaken out" than early/on-time and problematic.  The "old way" of shooting upgrades out and waiting for complaints to start rolling in to support is positively quaint.]

Agreed.  If folks want the early/on-time version, they can join the Insider group.  

Edited by Niweg, 11 September 2016 - 03:48 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users