Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to get some pics/docs from some OLD hard drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mimisings

mimisings

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hi...I'm new here, and I hope I've selected the correct forum for my question.

To elaborate on my Topic Title, I have a couple of old desktops, one not too old laptop, and a couple of REALLY OLD laptops that no longer work (various issues, some hardware, some op sys issues)...but, it was always cheaper and more fun to get new stuff than get them fixed). I am planning to get all the hardware to a recycler, but I would really like to save the pictures and maybe some documents from all of the hard drives, if it's not too difficult or expensive.

I would like some ideas on how best to do this. Since none of the computers are operable, I will remove the hard drives, that's not a problem. Is there some external device out there that doesn't cost a fortune to which I can hook up to the old hard drives (remember, both desktop AND laptop drives) that will allow me to see what's on the old drives and transfer what I want to my nice, new HP desktop running Windows 10? If so, will it work on a hard drive which won't boot up? (I'm pretty sure at least one of the devices has some op sys problems...going back to an old XP desktop!)

I thank you for your input.

mimi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

Use this type of USB adapter. Works on old IDE drives as well as the newer SATA drives. It's my go to device for pulling data off drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/330560913155

Edit: The above is an example. You may be able to find one locally.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#3 mimisings

mimisings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for your very speedy reply. So, really? It's just a cable that connects to the old hdd with a USB to the good PC? Does the old hdd then show up as an external drive, showing all its folders, etc.?

Dang simple!

mimi

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

Yes, on an old IDE drive you connect the one end from the power brick to the Molex connector on the back of the drive and then use the USB adapter to plug  into either a 2.5 or 3.5 drive's IDE port. The adapter has IDE connections for both 2.5 and 3.5 drives.

For Sata drives use the Molex to SATA power adapter and the SATA data cable that plugs into the USB adapter. Attach the USB cable to your computer and the drive will show in Computer with another drive letter.

I purchased the Vantec version. It's a little more expensive then the Ebay version but has a power switch and may be better constructed. Here is the instruction guide. 

http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/media/data_file/061709_cb-isatau2_manual_us-all.pdf

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

I use an external drive bay, power separately from the USB that connects it to the PC.  The bay will accept IDE, and PATA/SATA drives.  I've recovered hundreds of drive from old units that had MOBO issues.  It is also a good diagnostic tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users