Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do you stop windows 10 from downloading ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bitwitch

bitwitch

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi I got  a load of updates to do and I mean a load but everytime I try to start to download them windows 10 starts to down load I cant even see it in the options anymore so cant de select it cant hide it. I do not want windows 10 thats why I took automatic updates off and why I havent down loaded any up dates so have ended up with 125 updates waiting to come down any help will be much appreciated. Also should I down load all 125 updates lol

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

Install GWX control panel then do the updates.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

#3 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

thank you I hope its easy to use lol as not that techie

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

It's easy. Simply double click the exe file to open the control panel and click on the appropriate boxes. Do this in an admin account. Read the user guide I linked to. 

#5 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

thanks hun just reading it now trying to get head round everything lol but see they talking about 2 different ones the stand alone one and the installer one so not to sure which one to do I assume from what I have read so far the installer is the better one sorry if seem a bit dense when your being so helpful

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, go ahead and use the installer version.

#7 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

thank you will let you know how I get on will try morrow

#8 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi JohnC well finally managed to find time to download it and done what it said then tried to do the updates well some of them otherwise be there for a wk trying to down load all the updates but each time tried to do the downloads windows 10 started to download. Any ideas hun thanks in advance for all your help

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

I don't know why Windows 10 would offer downloads now as it is no longer free. When you installed GWX did you click on the buttons to remove  any Windows 10 files that were currently on the computer and prevent any further downloads? Make sure KB3035583 is not installed. You can check your update history. This page explains how to remove any Windows 10 files on the computer.

There is another program called Never10 that is supposed to do the same thing as GWX Control Panel and is a little easier to use. 

Note: After October Microsoft will only be offering roll-up packages for Windows 7 and 8 so there will be no way to avoid certain updates with Automatic Updates Enabled. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 September 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#10 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Hi John I clicked everything said to click other than the click to delete windows 10 programs I thought done that lol I also thought they had stopped offering the free version of windows 10 thats why I went in to try down load all up dates only thing I can think of is that when I tried before to download them and windows 10 started to download I stopped it so maybe its in a cache some where well I think thats what its called. if necc I just wont download any up dates I havent since last year lol

#11 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

Right just checked what updates was installed and yes KB3035583 is already installed took me awhile to find it so what should I take that one out and if so how do I do it remember not a compter expert here just an old foggy lol thanks again

#12 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

As JohnC_21 had mentioned

I don't know why Windows 10 would offer downloads now as it is no longer free. When you installed GWX did you click on the buttons to remove  any Windows 10 files that were currently on the computer and prevent any further downloads? Make sure KB3035583 is not installed. You can check your update history.

Right just checked what updates was installed and yes KB3035583 is already installed took me awhile to find it so what should I take that one out and if so how do I do it remember not a compter expert here just an old foggy lol thanks again

To remove "KB3035583" (windows 10 upgrade) from windows update.

open your windows updater then search for "KB3035583" once found, (if installed: uninstall it) right click it and then click on "hide"

then it won't download or install and it should also remove that naggy icon from your tooltray.

Edited by Viper_Security, 14 September 2016 - 01:41 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#13 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Thanks viper will have a go will let you know how I get on and if that stops windows 10 trying to down load as been driving me nuts lol

#14 bitwitch

bitwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi  Viper well found that pesky download install and deleted it then checked again what was installed and it still says its there but when I go into the other bit where you go to uninstall cant find it ummmm not gone into the install updates bit either so cant hide it. when I go to download some of the many many updates waiting windows 10 trys to download aaaaaaagain lol I have tried to right click on it where it shows the ones that you have already downloaded but cant put it into hide that way either lol thats it no more updates for me I think lol

#15 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

That's Really Odd.

Before i switched to Linux that's how i removed the windows 10 upgrade update o.0

I shall do some more digging and get back to you asap.

Edited by Viper_Security, 14 September 2016 - 05:44 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users